• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP 5 - Audio Sync on Export Issue

S

stev02

Hi folks,

I hope ya'll can help me here. When I'm working in my sequence I have no problems, but when I export the video to DiVx AVI (I just bought the lovely codec) or Quicktime Video there is a loss in audio sync at the SAME part of the video everytime. I read somewhere it could be the quick edits and when exporting it doesn't read it right. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :spook:

OP
F

falltime

stev02 said:
Hi folks,

I hope ya'll can help me here. When I'm working in my sequence I have no problems, but when I export the video to DiVx AVI (I just bought the lovely codec) or Quicktime Video there is a loss in audio sync at the SAME part of the video everytime. I read somewhere it could be the quick edits and when exporting it doesn't read it right. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :spook:

How are you capturing the video initially? What is the framerate of the video? And what is the frequency of the audio?

OP
S

stev02

falltime said:
How are you capturing the video initially? What is the framerate of the video? And what is the frequency of the audio?

I'm not sure. I think that's where my problem is b/c when I captured video it gave me an error that the audio may not sync. But it seemed fine... until I exported it. :mad:

How should I be capturing it? Thanks for your help! :mac:

OP
F

falltime

stev02 said:
I'm not sure. I think that's where my problem is b/c when I captured video it gave me an error that the audio may not sync. But it seemed fine... until I exported it. :mad:

How should I be capturing it? Thanks for your help! :mac:

It depends on how and what you recorded it with. Are you recording in just standard 60i? What kind of deck/camera are you using to record and capture?

OP
S

stev02

falltime said:
It depends on how and what you recorded it with. Are you recording in just standard 60i? What kind of deck/camera are you using to record and capture?

I'm using a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-TRV340. Any ideas? Thanks so much.
:spook:

OP
F

falltime

stev02 said:
Can anyone help me? :)

Sorry I was out of town for about a week...

Digital 8 huh??? Oh man. Your capture settings are for 60i right?

Digital 8 is such an old, terribly supported format that it doesn't surprise me that you’re having issues. I thought I'd at least you'd be recording onto MiniDV.

I'd say you have 2 options:

1. Capture the video in smaller segments. If you aren't already, try capturing it in 5 minute segments. This was an old-school trick way back when Digital 8 was a more popular format, and computers were considerably slower - video and audio syncing issues were common.

2. Borrow a newer MiniDV camera, and record the video onto that. Then just capture it off that deck.

OP
S

stev02

Thanks for your help! Yeah, the camera is old. I'll try capturing in smaller bits. Should I mention that when I capture footage is gives me a warning about the audio not syncing. I just clsed the warning and didnt think it would actually have that problem. :X Oops!

How do I know if it's 60i?

OP
F

falltime

stev02 said:
Thanks for your help! Yeah, the camera is old. I'll try capturing in smaller bits. Should I mention that when I capture footage is gives me a warning about the audio not syncing. I just clsed the warning and didnt think it would actually have that problem. :X Oops!

How do I know if it's 60i?

60i is the NTSC video framerate standard. It represents 30 frames per second interlaced. That is what most low-to-mid range consumer level DV cams record at. Some mid-range cameras may record at 30p (30 FPS progressively) and most new high-end professional DV cams are now capable of recording at 24p (24 fps progressively - to emulate the look and feel of film.)

FCP 5 supports a majority of the newer high-end cams and has a variety of different capture settings for the different formats and frame rates. By default, FCP should be set up to capture in 60i so unless you altered any of the settings, you should be fine - I just wanted to make sure.

OP
S

stev02

falltime said:
60i is the NTSC video framerate standard. It represents 30 frames per second interlaced. That is what most low-to-mid range consumer level DV cams record at. Some mid-range cameras may record at 30p (30 FPS progressively) and most new high-end professional DV cams are now capable of recording at 24p (24 fps progressively - to emulate the look and feel of film.)

FCP 5 supports a majority of the newer high-end cams and has a variety of different capture settings for the different formats and frame rates. By default, FCP should be set up to capture in 60i so unless you altered any of the settings, you should be fine - I just wanted to make sure.

Well, I started up FCP 5 and didn't tough anything and started capturing. I got the audio sync error. :dummy: I guess I could try it again. But with that camera I have it should work fine right?

OP
F

falltime

stev02 said:
Well, I started up FCP 5 and didn't tough anything and started capturing. I got the audio sync error. :dummy: I guess I could try it again. But with that camera I have it should work fine right?

Any newer namebrand (Sony, Panasonic, Canon, JVC) MiniDV cam should work fine. I would definitely recomend transfering the video to a MiniDV cam via analog transmission (RCA cables) then capturing into FCP that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.