Some General iPad questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4Ghz core i7 27 inch iMac 16Gb / OS X 10.7.4 / Apple TV 2
Hi,

I am thinking of buying an iPad, but there are a couple of tings that I would lke to know.

1. How is the iPad 2 for typing? I know that there is a touch keyboard, and I don't intend to write a thesis on it, but say for typing on forums like this one? I am on a lot of forums, or FaceBook etc.

2. With the latest OS, can I stream movies from iMac to iPad? (I have Apple TV 2 if needed).

3. I already have an iMac with 2Tb HDD. If I just plan to use iPad at home for net abd documants, or on train journeys to watch the odd movie/listen to music, will I get away with 16Gb model?

any help much appreciated :Cool:

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
First off, welcome !

1. I think this depends on the user and the size of their fingers. I've seen people type on an iPad like it was nothing and speed along, and have seen others fumble with it as if it were their first time typing. Experience helps.

2. I believe there is an "Home Sharing" feature in iOS 4.3 which allows streaming iTunes content. There are also a few streaming apps available to do this, as well as some interesting work arounds in order to stream via Safari. Here's one of the apps: Air Video Free - Watch your videos anywhere! for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

3. I do believe you'll be able to get away with 16 so long as you're not going on any long vacations and need to store tons of data. Plus, with iCloud coming out soon, you'll be able to store all of your stuff in there, and have access to it when ever you need. And don't forget things like Dropbox and Sugarsync, too.

4. Fawlty Towers is brilliant!

Doug

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When laid down in its landscape orientation, the on-screen keyboard of the iPad is the same size as a Macbook..and you can get used to typing on it quite effectively..

Yes you can stream movies that are set it up in iTunes on your iMac..

I have a 16GB iPad 2..I use it mainly for reading books/pdf's, email, browsing and for the various games my daughter players..I have about 10 gigs free.

If you're going to load up with music/movies for journeys, you might find the 16GB limited and require to swap out music/movies to make space for new stuff..but that all depends on the size of the movies and the amount of music you want on there..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1. How is the iPad 2 for typing? I know that there is a touch keyboard, and I don't intend to write a thesis on it, but say for typing on forums like this one? I am on a lot of forums, or FaceBook etc.

The best way to know how an iPad is to type on is actually do it. I would suggest visiting your local Apple Store...or a store like Best Buy or Walmart (who also sell iPads)...and give typing a try.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
BasilFawlty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4Ghz core i7 27 inch iMac 16Gb / OS X 10.7.4 / Apple TV 2
Thanks doug & razoredge, that's answered all of my questions. I will have a think about Gb size, but the streaming is a nice touch, so it looks as though I will go for it :D

C

chas_m

I personally prefer a BT keyboard for serious typing, but for quick e-mails and short forum replies like this one, the on-screen kb is perfectly fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I think that the typing on an iPad is quite good for what it is. However, I still think I can punch out an email or a forum post like this easier and faster on a physical keyboard. Having something tactile that you can feel with your fingers really helps in that way. (By the way, this post was composed on an iPad using the onscreen keyboard.)

Without knowing how much music you have or what bit rate it's encoded at, it's hard to know whether a 16GB model will be enough for you. How much music do you own, what's the bit rate it's encoded at, and how much of it do you want to bring with you? Don't forget that you might want to install some apps on the device too, and depending on how many of those you install, you might run out of room quicker than you'd expect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.