• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Exporting video... how can I email a video to a friend who doesnt have a Mac

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls, ive made a video using imovie but cant email it to a friens as they dont have a mac, is there a known app or other way that I can open this video in and send it to a friend

thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You won't be able to email the video to anyone - it (unless it's REALLY short) will be most likely too large.

You'll want to export the video from iMovie which should save it as either a .mov or .mp4 or .m4v (I don't use iMovie much) - you'll then need to upload it somewhere (like, for example, dropbox) and then email your friend the link. Their computer should be able to play .mov if they have quicktime installed and also should be able to play mpeg4 video (if they can't, then they need to get the codecs or install quicktime).

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks buddy, I'm pretty novice on macs and so is my friend would be so much easier If there's an app that I could use separately to make the video again?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just upload the movie to Youtube or something like that. iMovie has that feature built right in, so you don't have to redo your movie. >_<"

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks but the audio is under copyright nd wont allow to upload, it is a demonstration video so i wont be using the audio illegally if anyone knows of an app or something like i would be much appreciated

thanks for replies :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
As mentioned...waaay too big to e-mail...aside from uploading to YouTube etc....you need a host...There is no app. that will host it for you...next thing might be Mobileme...?

C

chas_m

anybody new have any ideas? is there an app i can buy that easily exports video...

You're really not getting what we're saying, are you?

It's not a question of whether it's easy to export video in iMovie ... it's incredibly easy in a wide variety of formats. What we're telling you is that a video longer than say, 30 seconds (and compressed to the size of dollar coin) will be TOO LARGE to email. From iMovie or any other program.

So, repeating what people have said several times already in this thread, export your video and then put it on Dropbox (free) or something like it, which is entirely designed to make large files (up to 2GB) VERY EASY TO SHARE.

Have a look at Dropbox's site to find out exactly how easy it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
thanks but the audio is under copyright nd wont allow to upload,
Youtube has quite strict copyright functions, but Vimeo seem to be a bit more lax.

Reaction score
thanks but the audio is under copyright nd wont allow to upload, it is a demonstration video so i wont be using the audio illegally if anyone knows of an app or something like i would be much appreciated

thanks for replies :D

I will bet you TWO undervalued US dollars that you can still upload it to Youtube. They will just end up giving you a notice of copyright music, but you can still watch your video there. They just put ads on it and share it with the license holder. Happens all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Depends on the music and the copyright. On one of my videos, they muted the entire audio track.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.