MacBook Air or MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
*Sigh*, okay I know this question has been asked a million times, but I'm going to base my decision on each and every little thing, as this will be my laptop for the next 3-4 years. I broke it down:

Apple MacBook Pro: $1526.28
-13 Inch
-8GB RAM
-320GB
-i5
-2.3GHz

Pros:
-HD camera
-CD slot
-Better RAM and CPU
-Looks better
-More storage

Apple MacBook Air: $1750.40
-13 Inch
-4GB RAM
-256GB
-i5
-1.7GHz

Pros:
-Can get it now
-Thinner
-Flash storage
-Lighter

Now, the specifications don't matter to me, they're just a bonus (my needs aren't too heavy). The Pro has a better camera, but I don't use it that much anyway. And the one on the Air isn't bad either. The Pro has a CD slot, but I also don't use that very much. Besides, many things are offered as downloads online. The Pro has more storage, but I don't need that much. I told you I was going to look at every single thing, I think the Pro looks better. But that doesn't matter, I mean come on, I'm switching from a PC. The main reasons I'd take the Air over the Pro, is because it's thinner, lighter and uses flash storage which is faster. PLUS, I can get it now as it was just updated. Now I know some of you get annoyed when people want to have "the latest and greatest", but I'm not exactly like that. I just want "the latest and greatest" as long as it'll last until the next update ;P. I'll be waiting for the next Pro regardless of when it's going to be released, which is a downside (unless I get the Air). I'm really leaning towards the Air right now, I just want your advice and opinions! Thanks to anyone who took the time to read.

P.S.: The prices are in Canadian dollars, with the education discount, after taxes, and with a special discount from my dad's work. Oh and I had a sleeve, Apple Remote and Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter in the cart ;P. Thanks again!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
They both are great machines. Either of them will last you for a long time. The only downside to the MBA for me personally is the storage size. It's a little on the small side of things but you can remedy that with an external storage device.

Where did you get the idea that "we" are against the "lastest and greatest?" :p

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well not all of you, everyone here's really nice. Guess I exaggerated when I said that. ;P

Thanks for the fast reply! Storage isn't too much of a problem for me though. I've played around with these and can say I love Lion. Can't wait to switch! :)

Reaction score
The only thing stopping me from getting a MacBook Air is the lack of a firewire connection. It's something that I need......

Design wise though the MacBook Air is a beautiful machine

Reaction score
I prefer the Pro version particularly on the 15". Air is nice but can not upgrade.

Reaction score
It is not about folks around here being "against the latest and greatest", it is more about the common opinion that if "one were to always chase the latest and greatest, one would never be fully satisfied". It is the fact that most users suggest that getting a machine that meets their needs will suffice, and therefore always chasing the latest and greatest is not necessary.

To answer your question, I have a 15" Macbook Pro 2011, and I recently wanted to switch to the 13" 2011 MBA because I will be doing a lot of travelling and didn't want to lug my 15" around. To be honest, that is the only circumstance I would move from the MBP to the MBA. I really like the look and feel of the MBA, but it just is not as powerful of a laptop...plain and simple. Here is my pro and con list of each

MBPro's
-Upgradable Ram and Hard Drive (If you really want the speed of the SSD, go buy a 60-80GB SSD and put OS X and all your APPs on it...even better, if you do not use the superdrive, buy a data doubler and use both an SSD and a 7200 RPM HD)
- Better GPU
- Superdrive (If needed, it is still a bonus)
- HD FaceTime Camera
- More storage from the base model (and very cheap to upgrade if you want more space)
- Very Easy to install ram and new hard drive
- Ethernet Port (if you have a sketchy wireless connection, plug is straight into your modem)

MBP Con's
- Heavier - therefore harder be mobile
- No SSD on base model (SSD's can get very expensive)
- Middle of release cycle

MBA Pros
- Stock SSD FAST
- Looks amazing (i prefer the look over the MBP personally)
- Light
- Thin
- Fits PERFECT with a mobile system of iPhone, MBA and iPad (if you fancy)
- Beginning of cycle (Just released)

MBA Cons
- Not as fast (processor)
- Not Upgradable (the SSD panel is, but again, you already have an SSD, there is no point)
- GPU is worse than the MBP
- Less storage space
- No Superdrive
- No HD Camera

To me, the decision between these two models has two key components:

1. Do you travel a lot, and therefore need a "mobile" set up?
2. Will the specs of the MBA suffice for your personal computing needs?

If you answered yes to both questions, I would without a doubt recommend the Air. If you answered no to one of them, you will need to take a closer look into what is best for your specific situation.

Hope I could offer some help!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Point by point, it all weighs out in the end for me (in terms of pros and cons for both laptops). The specifications of the MacBook Air are actually slightly more than I need, so it'll be perfect. And going to high school, I think I'll be moving around with my laptop more often now. That really helped make my decision. :)

I was just about to see how much the cost would come to again, but the Apple online store is down. :(

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I changed my mind again, this time for good. I'm going to get the Pro, but the question is when. Should I jump on it now? Or do you guys think there will be an update soon that'll be worth waiting for?

Reaction score
I'm also not sure which one to get.

These are my options: estimated prices, include Apple Care and tax
Macbook Air $1,660
13-inch
128GB
1.7GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
4GB memory
128GB flash storage
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Macbook Pro $2,300
15-inch
2.0GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
500GB 5400-rpm
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5

I really want a MBA but I might need a MBP for graduate school, to do digital map making. Also because the Pro has everything and is quad core unlike the air.

Should I get a MBA and later when I start graduate school get an iMac? or just get the 15" MBP?

I know that obviously the first option is more expensive, but I really like the idea of having a MBA because it's so thin and lightweight.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will the MacBook Air be able to handle digital map making? If it can, I'd say get the MacBook Air and get an iMac later. If not, the MacBook Pro is a pretty powerful machine.

Reaction score
Well there are different map making software, but from what I heard the Air has the minimum requirements to run ArcGIS which is one of the most popular ones and the one I've used before.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From there it's just what you like. If you want the Air because it's light and thin, go for it. Either laptop will be able to handle your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Wow. High school students with $2300+ to drop on a laptop. I'm in the wrong line of work.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. High school students with $2300+ to drop on a laptop. I'm in the wrong line of work.

Entry level 13 inch, but with 8GB RAM. So just about $1200. ;P

It's aside from the money I have saved up for university and such and I worked for it, so I feel good about buying it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any other opinions or advice?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who's a high school student? I finished my bachelor's and going to grad school.

I think he was talking about me, I need/want this laptop for high school.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.