Going to get a iBook G4 12", a few questions...

I

Iwantaibook

Hi there i am new here,
i have been looking at a iBook G3 800Mhz, i am probably going to buy one next week, but i have a few questions;

1. I have my ntl broadband connected via Usb into my desktop (windows xp), and then a network link from my desktop to my sisters desktop (win xp) via ethernet, my question is can i plug the usb and the ethernet effictivley removing my desktop??

2. Are most games compatible with iBook, what are the graphics like?

3. Can i use my printer with it (Hp deskjet 656c)?

4. What is the battery life like?

5. Are most periphials now compatible with Os X e.g. a kensington mouse?

Thanks Alot,Laurence.

Anybody able to help???
Please.

OP
K

kakosc

check your modem manufacturer.. i know nothing about modems and broadband stuff but theres a chance that the modem isnt mac compatible.
You'l be able to network your sisters desktop no probs, well as far as i know, i really have no experience with networking xp through my computer and onto a broadband connection. In theory it will work fine.
Games? Mac? pffft.
There are only a few sympathetic game developers who make games for mac, and while if you look for them they will be found, there is no where near the choise available. Something i had to come to terms with when i moved over. No more DDR *sobs*
Graphics on the iBook arent great. On board, shared ram graphics are never great, but comparativly the ibook does measure up pretty well.
I could go to the apple website's compatibility website and look up your printer question, but i really couldnt be arsed. You should dig your way through the apple website inside and out before buying anything anyway. This will answer your battery life question in more detail also, but i can tell you lower end models have about 5 hours, higher end 6 hours.
Yeah, most mice are compatible, but check the compatibitly website first. Your mouse doesnt exactly need compatible drivers or anything, osx should just pick it up as a x button mouse and make it work straight away.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. I dont think it is possible to connect the usb and ethernet at the same time for a modem to work

2. Head over to apple.com and the store to see all the games they list. The games look pretty good on the iBook.

3. No your printer is not compatible with OSX

4. Battery life can range from around 3 hours when using everything to 4-5 hours when you are only running a program or two with low brightness.

5. Yes most peripherals are compatible and im pretty sure kensingston works with apple for creating products

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
most people already replied well enuf but...

Iwantaibook said:
Hi there i am new here,
i have been looking at a iBook G3 800Mhz, i am probably going to buy one next week, but i have a few questions;
Graphite: cool and welcome to mac-forums!
1. I have my ntl broadband connected via Usb into my desktop (windows xp), and then a network link from my desktop to my sisters desktop (win xp) via ethernet, my question is can i plug the usb and the ethernet effictivley removing my desktop??
Graphite: Try it, if not check with your ISP if that doesn't work use a shared connection from your PC to your Mac
2. Are most games compatible with iBook, what are the graphics like?
Graphite: any game for macintosh today, will work with your iBook, but if you get a G4 iBook you will have more games and speed comming your way.
3. Can i use my printer with it (Hp deskjet 656c)?
Graphite: I don't see why not, apple supports tons of printers, but ONLY if its USB or FireWire.
4. What is the battery life like?
Graphite: its the opposite of any PC laptop, ive heard of the iBook lasting 10 hours, but they list 6hours.
5. Are most periphials now compatible with Os X e.g. a kensington mouse?
Graphite: yeah.
Thanks Alot,Laurence.
Graphite: no problem! welcome again!
Anybody able to help???
Please.
Graphite:read up :D

OP
J

JazzTrpt

kakosc said:
Graphics on the iBook arent great. On board, shared ram graphics are never great, but comparativly the ibook does measure up pretty well.

I'm positive that the iBooks have ATI Radeon 9200 graphics cards in them....that doesn't sound like shared ram graphics to me.....Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
I

Iwantaibook

Ta very much...

Thanks alot guys, i am getting my ibook hopefully in two weeks when i get payed for £699.

I rang apple and they said that the ibook will work with a network only for internet connection, but not for file sharing.
I am really looking forward to getting it.

Is there anything such as a usb plug that has a ethernet conncection on it?
Like a sort a bluetooth dongle thingy.

Thanks Laurence.

OP
S

shadov

JazzTrpt said:
I'm positive that the iBooks have ATI Radeon 9200 graphics cards in them....that doesn't sound like shared ram graphics to me.....Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
All laptops have graphics card integrated to mother board. I believe most (all?) integrated graphics use shared ram .... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway it's only 12" and 1024 x 768. If I was more into gaming / graphics design I'd get something bigger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
With 32 megabytes of onboard dedicated DDR RAM at its disposal, the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with AGP 4X has plenty of memory to give your multimedia applications a boost for rendering 3D graphics on the fly. Large visual elements can refresh themselves swiftly after image manipulations like filters, blurs and color corrections. And because main memory doesn’t get tied up with graphics processing, you get smoother system performance all around.

OP
B

Bluecrabby

battery life

the battery life on the iBook is fantastic I turn mine on in the morning before school, then put it to sleep and go to school. When it's in sleep mode it draws hardly more power than if it's off, but it wakes up within like two seconds. If you turn off Airport, and don't use the drive the battery can last a good 5 hours. But that goes down to about 3 1/2 hours when Airport is on, the screen is at full brightness, and your watching a DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.