Issues restoring my 24" iMac(1st gen Intel) to factory default. Please help?

Reaction score
To the geniuses here, I hope you might be able to spare a few insights for a non-pro user. So, I have this 24" iMac (white plastic body but still intel-chip) from about 2006 that had been giving me a lot of video-card issues(pixelated lines across the screen, etc.) so I upgraded to a new iMac and am trying to restore the old to resell.

Now, here's where I'm at, and I take full responsibility for my ignorance up until this point:
I have the iMac itself, a firewire 400/800 to connect the 2 machines, and the wireless keyboard and mouse seem to pair to both so I'm using the same key/mouse for both. I don't have an external harddrive or even a big enough flash drive to image snow leopard to, and on top of this I don't have any dvd's either. I might have to go out and buy a little usb external drive to use for imaging a restore disk, but very poor right now so trying to figure out any way to do this just between the machines over firewire. I have a .dmg of the installation disk for 10.6.3 on my new computer to use as an image.

Now, where I messed up was watching this online tutorial to try and first erase the harddrive before reinstallation using diskutility: I erased the entire drive rather than the subset drive that I guess I was supposed to(ugh, my bad, but I'm paying for it) and now the old iMac just boots to a broken folder icon, which makes sense.

but can anyone help me find a way to restore the thing with my other iMac? it is still able to boot into target disk mode, etc but now i can't use diskutility to restore it because it's giving me the error: Needs to be image-scanned before it can be restored.

I submit my plight to ye gods of Mac. please help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy a Snow Leopard retail DVD either at your local Apple store or Best Buy for $29. Surely that won't break you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.