PC Radeon HD 5450 (and probably all other HD 5xxx) working in Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Well, in case you are one of the unlucky people whose Geforce 8800 GT broke down in an early 2008 Mac Pro (Mac Pro 3,1), here is a nice solution which does not require you giving huge amounts of money to Apple for - well, nothing, basically
In case you did a little research, you will soon find out that Apple's graphic cards are - except for their EFI Bios - basically identical to "normal" PC ones. So the interesting question remaining is whether they are or are not usable within a Mac Pro. And the answer is:

You can make an PC ATI Radeon HD 5450 working in a Mac Pro 3,1 WITHOUT ANY EFI-FLASHING and WITHOUT ANY SPECIAL DRIVERS. This tutorial SHOULD WORK WITH ANY Radeon HD 5xxx (though this isn't tested)

The basic idea is taken from ATI Radeon HD 5450 Working On Snow Leopard - InsanelyMac Forum so - thanks :)

As you may or may not know, current graphics card drivers are seldomly for one specific card only, but instead for a whole series. So the thinking is - if Apple provides drivers for the Radeon HD 5770 (indluded in Snow Leopard), these drivers should work with each card of the series - in this case, all Radeon HD 5xxx.
The only problem is that Snow Leopard will take any non-5770 as "not compatible", and will not provide any graphics with these cards at all. But we may - our purpose here - tell OSX to use the drivers for the 5770 for all 5xxx models, something which may be achieved with a simple alias. And the really nice thing is that such an alias is - when it comes to OSX - not more than a simple text file (i.e. a *.plist file).
So all we basically do is telling OSX to use drivers it already has for different graphics cards. Thus we do not need to manipulate the system at all!

The steps needed to be done:

1. * visit the link above to the insanelymac-forum and extract the all-in-one zip file
    * copy the ATI5000Injector.kext "file" (this is not more than a folder with just one file - the above mentioned plist file) to /System/Library/Extensions (/s/l/e)

And - you are done! The one and only drawback is that the screen remains black until the graphic environment is loaded, i.e. until you log on the system. Once you are there, you have the full control as if any normal Mac Pro card was installed (rotating screens, changing resolution, etc.).

Even with a "cheap" HD 5450 you can run two screens with resolutions of 2560x1600 and 1600x1200 at a time without any loss in everyday performance - for a mere $50.

If you have a Geforce 8800GT and cannot enter the graphics environment but still can see the startup screen, try the single-user mode (instructions for how to get there, how to mount an external drive (to copy the files) and how to copy these are all over the net).

This was thoroughly tested on a MacPro 3,1 (early 2008) with a Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 (dual-DVI version) running Snow Leopard.

So - hope you will add your experiences with this any time soon - I'm especially curious if this instructions work for other Radeon HD 5xxx (as they should) or different Mac Pros (as they should as well).

Reaction score
Hi, I've given this a try on my Mac Pro 3,1 running Lion 10.7.3
When I drop it in the S/L/E though it tells me an error occured installing it. The card therefor is not working.

I used the exact same card:
Sapphire Radeon HD 5450.

Does it still work for you?

Thx in advance!

Reaction score
Tried on Mac Pro 1,1 w. Lion.

Does not work, same issue as above. If someone made it work would love to hear about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well fellas flashing PC cards is not for the faint hearted and often ends in disaster.

Reaction score
Mac Pro 10.6.8 snow leopard HD 5450

A very big thank u for everbody trying and showing me the way....!

Pc card amd radeon HD 5450 working smooth so far on my mac.
After boot failures i decided to take a chance with this pc card ( 31 Euro )...
No time for ordering .. i needed it instant...
out of the box ...into the mac ...startup in safe mode...(i still have original Nvidia 7300 GT in the slot ...somehow only working with safemode at 800x600 vga)...downloaded a ATI5000Injector.kext.zip (ATI5000Injector.kext.zip)
...and dragged it into the folder where all the .kexts are located ...
..i did got some failure comment after that ...
update software just in case and restart..plugged in my second dvimonitor in the new radeon 5450....mac rebooted twice and ...it works!
No faillure comments cards gets detected as a ..Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5000 ..
on a Mac Pro 10.6.8 snow leopard 2x2,66 dual core intel xeon mac pro 1,1

peace out

Reaction score
Working Here, Too

A very big thank u for everybody trying and showing me the way....!
Pc card amd radeon HD 5450 working smooth so far on my mac.

Have an old Mac Pro 1,1 I inherited. Nothing fancy done to the machine, just running the latest Lion software I can at 10.7.5. Live in the USA and took a chance with this type of card. Was about $40 at a local Fry's Electronics. Now, I'm not a super freak when it comes to knowing all the ins-and-outs of video cards but did notice a number of cards that were labeled as a Radeon 5450. I was about to buy one and noticed it said PCIe 2.0 in the specs so I'm glad I triple checked.

Ended up going with an ASUS HD 5450 Silent model. Figured for such a low $$ amount worst case I'd eat the cost if I could not return. After I added the .kext file as described above I had no issues. Did have to confirm the add to that system area and also did see some warning messages but just closed those and made sure the file (unzipped obviously) was where it was supposed to be. Shut down, pulled power plug, added card into empty slot (kept old card in as well) and started up.

It did take a bit longer to boot up and flashed a couple of times. Brought up the expansion card diagnostics screen and said it was not at top performance. Didn't worry. The card worked so I shut down again, pulled out the original junky card, put the 5450 into slot one and restarted. Again, a bit slow but ended up OK. Even check the expansion utility and said it was at max performance. Running a DVI and HDMI display.

Just be sure to look at the card type from the mfg. Be sure it is just PCIe and not 2.0+.

Good luck.

5450.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.