• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Did Apple conspire with publishers to keep e-book prices high?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
In all honesty, I don't think Apple conspired on the ebooks - I think they knew they needed to get publishers to work with them since other companies were already way ahead in the ebook/ereader market so Apple agreed to the terms set by the companies to get more titles in their store.

That said, in all honesty, I don't buy my ebooks through Apple. I don't like the pricing structure as it's too close to print books for many of the materials I have looked at in the past and/or the price difference between an eBook for iBooks vs Kindle were just too great to justify - plus I like the Kindle reader better for locating positions in books since if I have to reference something, iBooks just sucks at finding the same location if people use different fonts (at least it has, I haven't looked at the latest version, but I assume it still works like it has). On top of that I don't like only being able to read the books on my iOS device - I like having flexibility of being able to read it on my computer when I want to and/or just don't have my iOS device (ie: my wife is using it lol)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nope. And by the same token, has Apple conspired with every developer of every app on both the iOS and Mac app stores? Every one of them are allowed to set their own price for their software submitted to those stores.

I could see there being some collusion between the book publishers though.
While the software developers are seeing the advantage of the app stores and many are lowering their price due to the increased sales volume, the book publishers view it a different way. They're looking at it as a way to get into the retail side of the business and start bringing in that portion of the monies that historically have gone to the merchants.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I see this more as something the eBook publishers would conspire to do than Apple. the iBooks store is far from being the only ebook seller around, and the prices are fairly consistent across all of them. All Apple did was give publishers a less restrictive option (price-wise) than Amazon's store. Which, as the article suggested, is funny in an ironic sort of way since you could argue that the iTunes store and Amazon MP3 store were in opposite positions not so long ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.