Performance Difference?

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am considering an upgrade to one of the current iMacs. I was wondering if you could tell me if I'm likely to see a significant performance improvement for my specific task.

I am working on an amateur video project using Final Cut Pro X and it is becoming frustratingly slow, especially as my video library increases. I currently run the following system:

MacBook Pro 2.4GHx Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB

I am considering one of the new iMacs and am not sure as to what my best option would be. Do I need the i7 over the i5? The 27 inch for the faster processor? I'm pretty sure I'll go with 8GB RAM.

I'm not a professional by any means, so won't be stretching for the Mac Pro!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your current MBP could certainly use more memory especially when doing any kind of video editing and composing. Have you thought about adding more memory to it first and see how it performs before purchasing a new machine?

If you would rather buy a new iMac instead, purchase the best model with the best graphics that you can afford. You can always add memory yourself later on.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmm didn't think of that, though I've just looked it up and there seems to be a 4GB RAM limit on my MacBook (late 2008 I think).

P.S. Money isn't *really* a big issue, I just want to get a nice noticeable difference in performance for my investment. But like I say, I'm not a professional so it would be overkill to go all out for the Mac Pro.

If I could convince myself that it's going to fly compared with my MacBook, I'd splash the cash on the i7 iMac with a good 8GB RAM...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
4GB of RAM will cost you under $40. Try that first. Another thing to try is an SSD. 120gb is about $200, and you keep all the archived/infrequently used files on an external drive. I did that and it made a huge difference on my 2006 Intel iMac. It is almost instantaneous opening files and starting apps.

If you really want that 27" iMac though, I wouldn't blame you. They are the machines I'm always drawn to when I visit the Apple store.

OP
H
Reaction score
I thought about the SSD, but if I understand correctly the cash would be better put into more RAM, especially with the price of SSD. As far as I can tell, the SSD would only really speed up booting the computer and starting apps.

I'm more concerned with the performance once the app is up and running.

Is this the RAM I'm looking for: Memory

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is this the RAM I'm looking for: Memory

That memory will not work in your machine. Those are 1066 MHz DDR3 modules, your machine takes 667 MHz DDR2 modules. Different size and speed.

OP
H
Reaction score
D'oh! Of course, thanks.

Still in my basket, and sorely tempted:

27" iMac
3,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHZ DDR3 SDRAM
1 TB Serial-ATA-Festplatte + 256 GB Solid-State-Drive

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.