Clone 750Gb Toshiba MK7559GSXP will not boot 2011 Macbook pro

Reaction score
I am upgrading my HDD on my 2011 Macbook pro, with a 750Gb Toshiba MK7559GSXP I used CCC and SD to clone the drive , the cloning process finish with out any flaws, afterwards I tested the Clone HDD by restarting the computer and pressing the option and booting from the Clone HDD, it work fine, I proceed it to install the HDD on my 13" Macbook pro, I restarted the computer and after 60 seconds all I get is the Flashing folder with the question mark, I remove the HDD and install the old HDD and boots fine.

can this be related to the open firmware password?:\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
can this be related to the open firmware password?

Yes. You can not do anything to the machine including swapping or changing hard drives without the proper firmware password.

Why is the machine firmware password protected and do you know the password?

OP
C
Reaction score
I do have the password and I dont know why I put a password, just trying to be safe I guess, I just use my dvd installation disk and reset the password correct?

I thought there was a problem the HDD, thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that's fine. Yes, boot the machine with your install recovery DVD and go to Utilities. Remove the firmware password, reboot and proceed with the installation. You can leave the machine password protected if you like. Your choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.