Audio Output Switching Randomly - Need help!

Reaction score
Hello. My 15-inch Macbook Pro recently began behaving strangely. First, the Audio began cutting out at random moments. When I checked System Preferences, I saw that the Audio Output signal was switching randomly between Internal Speakers/Headphones/Digital Out. I can't seem to stop it from doing this, so I am now consistently losing sound.

Also, concurrent to this starting, my Macbook has become slow to respond, particularly when online. Sentences I type will pause and take a long time to catch up to my typing, and scrolling will lag. Anyone else having these issues or ave any suggestions? Thank you!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Also, concurrent to this starting, my Macbook has become slow to respond, particularly when online. Sentences I type will pause and take a long time to catch up to my typing, and scrolling will lag. Anyone else having these issues or ave any suggestions? Thank you!

This would typically be caused by: A) not enough free space &/or a highly fragmented drive or B) your drive is having problems / dying. Either one of which can cause all sorts of strange issues.

What size is the partition with OS X and how much free space?

OP
J
Reaction score
My drive is a 500 GB, and it currently has 326 GB remaining. Should I try to defragment the drive?

Thanks!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
check the SMART status with "SMARTReporter". Also, put an ear to the bottom right of the keyboard on your MBP and listen for any strange noises, such as clicking.

I would also repair permissions via Disk Utility, and then boot from your install disks and do a repair disk on the entire volume.

OP
J
Reaction score
I checked the SMART status and it says the Drive is OK. I am hearing the click sound every once in a while, however. I will work on repairing the disk viz Disk Utility next. Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You have not told us what version OS X you're running. If Lion - grab the 10.7.1 update that came out yesterday - apparently there are some issues with the audio via both HDMI and optical out that are fixed with this update.

Also, if you're on Safari 5.1, open up Disk Utility and check your memory usage by Safari and it's partner Safari Web Content. If they're high, try quitting Safari and re-opening to see if that takes care of the issue when online.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.