How to format hard Drive to work as an internal and external?

Reaction score
Hi all, i hope this is possible - What i want to do is Format my 1TB 3.5 HD to work as an internal drive (G5 Tower) and as an external drive (in a USB enclosure).

The reason is i want to copy large amount of data and it's much quicker when it's internal.

When i format as an external or internal when i switch it it just says this disk cannot be read.

Is there a way to do this please??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When i format as an external or internal when i switch it it just says this disk cannot be read

How are you formatting the disk and to which file format?

What is giving you the error 'disk cannot be read'?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi,

I am formatting the disk via disk utility - Mac OS extended (Journaled) - GUID Partition Table.

I have done this when it's in the tower and works in the tower fine - put this into an external USB caddy and i get the "Disk cannot be read"

Also do the same format from the Caddy and i get the same message when i insert the drive into the tower.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You don't say what gives you the "Disk cannot be read" error, so I'm going to guess you have two HDD? One with Mac OS on and this one you remove and it's your G5 that's reporting the error not another machine?

If this is correct I'd say your caddy is faulty.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, sorry it's not he boot HD - It's a spare one.

If the caddy is faulty, how can i format the same HD in the caddy and it works fine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Faulty doesn't mean it's failed entirely, but the fact is everytime you make chnages to the drive in the caddy you're getting issues.

Do you have another you could try it in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You need to set up the drive Apple Partition Map as GUID is only for Intel machines.

Your G5 has two positions for a hard drive and it will always transfer much quicker installed than using Firewire, USB etc. Just set the jumpers to slave and away you go.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, i'll try that.

So in theroey once i format/partition in the Apple Partition Map, then i should be able to swap between my USB enclouser and my G5 Tower?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Subject to changing the jumper settings each and every time.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!

Turned out the G5 was on leopard and Laptop on Snow Leopard - after upgrading the G5 it woeks flawlessly!

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.