Power mac g4 won't go passed grey screen???

Reaction score
Hi, I've had my mac for a couple hears now and have had leopard running on it since I got it.
After not using it for about a month I turned it on and had an update for safari and iTunes. Since installing these updates it won't boot properly and just gets stuck on a grey screen.
Before this happened I had noticed the fans kept going constantly, even when I'd shut down so I always had to remove the power cable.
I've removed all the cards and leads etc and cleaned them but it still won't work.
Also, I managed to open the cd drive and put the leopard boot disk in but it won't read that either.

Can anyone give me any advice on what I could try next please?

Cheers

Werzal

Reaction score
Check out link

Hi Wersal,
have a look at this link.http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379.You can also reset the PRAM by opening your tower and pressing a tiny silver button by the small PRAM battery.Thats if your model has one.Make sure you switch off your Mac before putting your hands in.Static electricity could manage your boards.Probably best to touch button carefully with wooden pencil and rubber end if you use keyboard startup way.Hope this works for you.

Mark

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks mark, I tried passing the button today but it didn't work.
I now think I've killed it, I was looking in disk utility and, quite stupidly, erased the hard drive. (don't ask how, I'm an idiot and clicked the wrong button!!!)
I've got a disk for osx 10.5 but when I try to install it, it says I need 10.4 already to install it. I'm trying to get hold of the disk but not sure if I will manage to get it. I may have to buy it I think, unless anyone has any better ideas??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks mark, I tried passing the button today but it didn't work.
I now think I've killed it, I was looking in disk utility and, quite stupidly, erased the hard drive. (don't ask how, I'm an idiot and clicked the wrong button!!!)
I've got a disk for osx 10.5 but when I try to install it, it says I need 10.4 already to install it. I'm trying to get hold of the disk but not sure if I will manage to get it. I may have to buy it I think, unless anyone has any better ideas??

Well...I'm not going to comment on the hard drive erasure part!;)

As far as the OS 10.5 install. You probably have an OS 10.5 "upgrade" disk (versus a full install retail disk)...which is why you need to have 10.4 installed first.

Your options are to:

- Purchase an OS 10.4 install disc/discs...then use your OS 10.5 "upgrade" disc.
- Or purchase a full install OS 10.5 disk.

In either case...it's going to cost you $75-$100 bucks (e-Bay).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
I just got an email from my dad, who gave me the computer. He thinks he might have the original disk for 10.4, if he has my problem will be solved....
I'll keep you posted!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sound like the Leopard disc is an upgrade. Did you have the Leopard disc in the computer and booted from that when you erased the hard drive?

OP
W
Reaction score
Yes, but but before I erased it I was getting the same message. I'm thinking this was the only option really now. I'm quite confused as to why it happened though

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.