Apple Care Protection Plan - Apple just doesn't seem to care!!

Reaction score
We have a Macbook Pro 13 in the family and its been doing great. We purchased it in India and it originally came with a one year warranty. As we wanted to extend our warranty I went out on eBay and purchased the Apple Care Protection Plan which extends the warranty by 2 more years. The MBP 13 is 15 months old now and the ACPP is about 9 months since purchase.

Recently the superdrive developed an auto-ejection issue. When we approached the service centre they said that the ACPP is not reflecting in their end and so I will have to contact Apple Support. When I got them on the line they ask me NOW after 9 months of registering the Apple Care Protection Plan for the invoice!! I tell them it was an online purchase via ebay and so I don't have the bill but I can however send the mail I received from the seller.

After a day Apple support gets back to me and says they can't help me out and that my ACPP is not valid since I have made the purchase on eBay. I asked them how they have been giving me phone support all this while and even now on the website it shows that I have registered the ACPP for my MBP 13 for which they reply that its a valid ACPP number but since I have purchased it online its not valid.

All this makes no sense to me. If it was not valid or whatever they should have contacted me via phone or mail telling me so as soon as I registered with it online. They do nothing of that sort and now I suffer for no obvious fault of mine. I really want to take this issue up with Apple and get what I paid for. Can anyone tell me who else I can write to and contact to handle this issue further??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums - sad in such circumstances.

Well there have been many, many reports of fraudulent sale of AppleCare through eBay. Have a look at how this scam operates.

Sadly the lesson is if you want AppleCare, purchase it from Apple or other authorized dealers such as Amazon and not eBay.

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/How-to-spot-FAKE-AppleCare-MUST-READ_W0QQugidZ10000000013594494

Has been earlier threads on this very thing:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/240308-best-place-buy-applecare.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I always purchased mine from Apple.

OP
F
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums - sad in such circumstances.

Well there have been many, many reports of fraudulent sale of AppleCare through eBay. Have a look at how this scam operates.

Sadly the lesson is if you want AppleCare, purchase it from Apple or other authorized dealers such as Amazon and not eBay.

eBay Australia Guides - How to spot FAKE AppleCare - MUST READ

Has been earlier threads on this very thing:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/240308-best-place-buy-applecare.html

Thanks Harry. I wish there was something Apple would do about it. Can't they atleast give me a discounted price purchase option for a new ACPP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Harry. I wish there was something Apple would do about it. Can't they atleast give me a discounted price purchase option for a new ACPP.

The problem with purchasing Apple Care from eBay is that you do not receive the boxed copy along with the registration instructions and written receipt. Generally all they send is the AC number. The AC you bought may in fact be valid but without the receipt it's difficult to prove.

Are you nearby an Apple store? If so, it's best to talk with someone in person rather than by phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
You cannot blame Apple for this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
You sucked in for another EBay scam

There are many many going on out there.

Buy only from Apple and you will be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Odds are, you're out the money you paid for the APP agreement. I don't know any way around that. However, you might contact Apple Customer Relations and ask if they could grant an exception so that you could purchase AppleCare now and have it registered, even though the 12 month limited warranty has expired. You purchased from a questionable source, but you purchased it in good faith to cover your hardware. You did what you thought was right to protect your investment. Maybe they'll recognize that and help you get the coverage you intended to get.

Apart from that though, look into either coverage under a renter's insurance policy or a technology rider on your homeowner's policy. Cost is negligible - less than $100 per year usually, and can provide a full replacement in the event of catastrophic loss for a small deductible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
This is no different than say.. buying gray market equipment then being stymied when the manufacturer refuses to warranty it. eBay's great for some things, not so great for others. I'm sorry this has been an issue for it, but it's really hard to blame Apple. Someone else sold you down the river on this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.