imac won't boot up

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member here trying to find some answers to a recent problem.

A couple weeks ago, I shut down my imac (2011-just bought about 4 months ago). When I tried to turn it back on, I must have pushed the power button about 10 times before anything happened. I thought "maybe you were just hitting it crooked or something" and gave it the benefit of the doubt.

Again, tonight after shutting it down yesterday, it happened again. Only this time it took about 20 presses of the button before anything happened. It should be noted this is probably the first time I shut the computer down since last time, as I normally put it to sleep while not in use.

Is this a problem anyone else is familiar with? What's the deal with this? The computer is still very new and I'm very disheartened at the fact that this $1,600 piece of machinery is performing like this. I'm a long-time apple user and have never encountered this problem with any other computer I've had.

Can someone please give the old boy a hand with this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That doesn't sound right to me. Did you give it a solid, single press and then give it a second or two? I'm thinking it's possible that a "rapid fire" approach might put it into a turn on/turn off cycle that could exhibit this kind of behavior.

If that's not the case, I'd recommend resetting the SMC:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

...and if that wasn't of help, I'd be taking it down to the Genius Bar if it were mine.

Another tip: Consider sleeping the iMac when you're not using it instead of shutting it down every time. OS X has a great sleep mode that draws very, very little power (far less than the amount of juice required to power a nightlight). This way, it will wake instantly and without the need to hit the power button at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.