iPod could not be read or written to...

Reaction score
So, I recently went to the Apple store because for Christmas I got the iTouch 4G and the home button stopped working for the most part. So they decided to just give me a new iPod and sent me on my way. When I got home that night I plugged it into my MacBook and it was syncing good for the first 100 or so songs but then all of a sudden decided to bring up an error message that reads "Attempting to copy to the disk "Chelsea" failed. The disk could not be read from or written to." And then after that it pops up another warning message saying "iTunes could not copy <a song name> to the iPod "Chelsea" because the file could not be read or written." Along with those error messages it also freezes my entire computer to where I have to actually hold down the power button on my computer to shut it off, and a few times it had just automatically closed iTunes. I have tried restoring my iPod but that did not work. I have found that just unchecking the song that it says it is not able to copy allows it to keep syncing. But a lot of them are good songs that I really want. So I'm not really sure what to do. Any help would be amazing!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The song is likely corrupt and causes errors when copying or syncing. The best thing to do is download that particular song again from iTunes. Contact iTunes customer service first and ask that it be made available for download again otherwise you'll be charged a second time.

And please do not keep attempting to sync those songs which may be corrupt, as powering down your Mac with the PS button is not a good way to turn it off. Your hard drive may be damaged in the process.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply chscag, I'll try that! I just find it weird that it worked on my other iPod, but not this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.