Would really appreciate some advise on iMac 27"

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can someone please give me some advise on what to do with my iMac 27" i7 , its only 5 months old and about 2 weeks ago it switched itself off and wouldn't go back on, once it finally booted there was no display , totally dead but you could hear the machine was running, anyway i took it to my local apple store and it went in for repair, when i got it back i couldn't believe that the logic board , led display board had both failed! , guys i have had it back 3 days now and the **** thing keeps freezing intermit! even if i am not online and just viewing system preferences it can freeze! trackpad , keyboard , nothing works! i must hard reset it, also sometimes when i reboot i have my HD on the desktop when i have clicked for this not to show!
where do i stand? this is my 4th iMac 27" as the first 3 went faulty within 2 days! i really can't be bothered going back yet again and now to have to have another repair and wait another 2 weeks!!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Wow that's a pretty bad streak of iMac's you've got going..but if the issue of freezing is so readily present, you're better of taking it back to the Apple Store to show it them and since you are still under the warranty they'll take care of you..

It's better to get this resolved now than once the iMac is out of warranty and these kinda of repairs might cost an arm and leg..

Reaction score
Hi Harvey,

Sorry to hear you have problems with your iMacs - this sounds super unlucky! I have been working on one of those at work for quite some time and also recently purchased another 27" for home. I don't have any issues at all and I'm super happy with them.

What kind of environment are you working in? Anything that could affect electronics in your computer?

As advice (even though you have done that a lot already) I would say to return the current model to your Apple Store and try to get a new machine. I could only hope you unfortunately got a couple lemons...

Keep us posted!

OP
harvey3178
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, trouble is its so intermit , there is not any particular thing that causes it , i really don't want to be without my Mac for another few weeks, me and my partner both have MBP , never had any issue with them at all! This iMac just doesn't run good at all and has been one big waste of our money.
I don't have any bad feelings and am not angry, just really disappointed.

OP
harvey3178
Reaction score
Hey Dekan,

Thanks for the reply! I understand why you ask but no there is nothing affecting them. The first few iMacs where not big faults for example one had marks under the glass and they just replaced, one had a fan at full speed constant and the other the HD died! lol you may be correct about my luck! on the other hand this machine was amazing for 5 months!! we where not even using it when it happened, well what i mean is it was just downloading when i was eating dinner and it just switched off! my iPhone and iPad where both in the same mains socket and they are 100% fine so it wasn't the mains.
I love my 27" iMac and really don't need the i7 CPU but we had the cash so thought we would get the best! lol. I don't think they will swap it for a new machine as the last time i said this is getting silly i was told by an apple genius that they will repair it 9 times before they replace it?????

Reaction score
Hum ... not sure about the 9 times. Hope you are not far from an Apple Store? :)

...I guess that's your option then: Bring it back for repair as long as it's on warranty and hope they'll find whatever causes your issues. Freezing at no specific app or work you do on it almost sounds like faulty RAM to me.

OP
harvey3178
Reaction score
Hi,

Guys I am going to try and remove lion and go back to snow just to see if that helps, I never had any issues like this with snow , at least then I can tell it's hardware

OP
harvey3178
Reaction score
Ok well that was a waist of time! Started installing snow and it froze again! Lol, if I dong laugh I will cry! Well it's hardware

Reaction score
I bought my iMac 2 weeks before Lion so it ran well on SL. Upgraded to Lion as soon as it came out and it's running just great. Don't think that has anything to do with it.

The way you describe it, I'd really check out the RAM issue. I wonder if the Apple store could switch it for you to investigate this.

Are there any RAM test tools for Mac? ...I remember something like that from long gone PC times. There gotta be something for Mac as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Just take it back. Maybe you'll get another genius who WILL give you a new machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I have a stupid request. Could you please try using a different outlet to plug the iMac into? See if that changes anything. Yeah, I know it's dumb, but I already said that. :) It just strikes me as way more than odd that you'd have such a bad luck streak with 3 or 4 iMac's in a row, let alone two of them!

I'd ask to speak to a manager and politely explain the situation while implying that a new computer would really be appreciated, and if not then a refund.

Doug

OP
harvey3178
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ok so last night when I installed osx snow again and tried to run updates it said optimising system then it froze! I rebooted and tried again , froze! I thought great! Now I can actually make it freeze! So I tried once more and again froze! So I thought of what Dekan had said about the RAM , so one by one I stared removing the RAM and bingo! 2 bad sticks of RAM! Gutted as they worked perfect before sending in for repair! But may have been damaged when with the main fault I suppose, just gies to show though they obviously didn't run my iMac on test as it froze constant! But anyway all sorted and big thanks to dekan for planting the seed! Many thanks bud!!

Reaction score
I had a similar issue when I switched out the RAM on my late 2009 model iMac. It would just switch off. Definitely check out the RAM or have the people at the Apple store check the RAM. I did have small issues with my first 27" late 2009 model iMac. I had one dead pixel, but needless to say that was something Apple wouldn't fix. I have had 3 MBPs and never had any issue out of any of them. However, the big screen and more powerful processing power still always draws me back to the iMac. I hope and pray I have no issues with my 2011 iMac. Hope you get your issues solved soon.

May God bless!

Ed

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ok so last night when I installed osx snow again and tried to run updates it said optimising system then it froze! I rebooted and tried again , froze! I thought great! Now I can actually make it freeze! So I tried once more and again froze! So I thought of what Dekan had said about the RAM , so one by one I stared removing the RAM and bingo! 2 bad sticks of RAM! Gutted as they worked perfect before sending in for repair! But may have been damaged when with the main fault I suppose, just gies to show though they obviously didn't run my iMac on test as it froze constant! But anyway all sorted and big thanks to dekan for planting the seed! Many thanks bud!!

Good to hear! That should be fairly easy to fix.

OP
harvey3178
Reaction score
Hey guys,

All sorted! Got new RAM today and have been running Lion all day with no problems at all! Back to loving my 27" iMac!!! Thanks guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.