• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Region Changing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
Ok, I have some DVD's from the UK, and obviously the region is wrong. I am afraid of using up my limited number of region changes on my MacBook Pro. Is there any way around this limit, or am I stuck once it's reached?

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Ok, I have some DVD's from the UK, and obviously the region is wrong. I am afraid of using up my limited number of region changes on my MacBook Pro. Is there any way around this limit, or am I stuck once it's reached?

Thank you

You could get an external DVD drive specifically for your UK DVDs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ok, I have some DVD's from the UK, and obviously the region is wrong. I am afraid of using up my limited number of region changes on my MacBook Pro. Is there any way around this limit, or am I stuck once it's reached? Thank you

In addition to what schweb suggested (which by the way is a good suggestion) you can do this:

Open System Preferences, click on CDs & DVDs. Where it says, "When you insert a video DVD", choose "ignore".

After doing that, download and install the free VLC player.

Now when you insert one of your UK video DVDs, select the VLC player to play it. No region setting required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
VLC has recently updated their FAQ to include information on newer model DVD drives. Apparently the newer drives will do a firmware check before attempting to play media, and VLC can't circumvent it, nor can any other software at this time. VLC is free, to trying it costs you nothing, but if it doesn't work, you'll need to consider either a region-free drive or one devoted to UK media.

OP
Lefty Loco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
Ahh yes! I already have and love VLC! Why didn't I think of trying that?

Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.