Using IE 8 or 9 on a Mac

Reaction score
Having recently switched to a Mac, I am having difficulty in getting my wife to use the new machine. I have pointed out that Safari is the browser on Mac but she wants to use IE8 or 9.

I have found a package called VirtualBox that runs windows applications on a Mac but does anyone know how much that will slow the Mac down? One of the things that we both like with the Mac is the speed of response.

And if I do install Virtualbox, do I then have to purchase a copy of the latest Windows 7 to install on my IMac or can I just down load IE8(or 9) from the web and install it?

Thks Ian:\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You can't really run IE without running Windows on your Mac. Did you ask why she still wants IE?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You will have to purchase a copy of Windows 7 to use with either Virtualbox,Parallels,
VM Fusion or the included Bootcamp and then you can run IE8 or IE9 this is an expensive proposition for just using IE unless there is a specific reason to need this it
would be easier to learn Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If IE is a must, you might consider something like Crossover. It'll run IE without having to have a full Windows environment or license. It also has a free trial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Have her try Firefox or Chrome. I like both of those better than Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Crossover (as suggested by EvenStranger) works pretty well and avoids having to run a full machine, virtual or otherwise. Depending on the reason on why you want to run IE - Crossover may not work. I could not get Crossover to load a few ActiveX programs that my company uses to do time tracking nor could I get a Outlook Web Access ActiveX to install (required by Exchange 2003). This isn't needed anymore as Exchange 2007 and higher actually don't need that ActiveX control anymore and pretty much works with any browser.

Anyway, it would be interesting to know why there is a requirement for IE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Apparently you need to teach your wife better. IE 8 or 9? Silly woman.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Show her top sites and let her "fiddle" with safari for a few days. She'll convert!

C

chas_m

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm really and truly having a difficult time imagining why ANYONE with the option of a choice or browsers would go for IE over any of the other clearly superior options (Safari, Firefox, even Chrome!).

I can only speculate that there is some feature she likes and just doesn't know how to access it on a different browser.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't mean to be rude, but I'm really and truly having a difficult time imagining why ANYONE with the option of a choice or browsers would go for IE over any of the other clearly superior options (Safari, Firefox, even Chrome!).
If you need ActiveX, you have no choice - you need IE.

And, to pick on one specific part of your post, are you recommending Chrome? You wouldn't be suggesting Chrome if it spied on you now would you? ;)

C

chas_m

Even as Google creeps into your room and observes you as you sleep at night, at least Chrome uses established web standards to do so! :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

You forgot Opera!

Reaction score
Setting up a virtual machine so she can use IE seems a bit extreme. Just get her to try out chrome for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm still curious as to why she wants to use IE....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

I can only speculate that there is some feature she likes and just doesn't know how to access it on a different browser.

IE9 actually performs quite favorably, contrary to the perception of IE that version 6 propagated. If she likes the UI better than those in other browsers and has no need for the fancy features they bring, I can see someone preferring to use IE9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)
Some people are terrified of change. My wife is one of them. She came from IE. She's been using Firefox for a few months now and is OK with it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
IE9 actually performs quite favorably, contrary to the perception of IE that version 6 propagated. If she likes the UI better than those in other browsers and has no need for the fancy features they bring, I can see someone preferring to use IE9.
I'll second that. In all honesty, IE9 isn't all that bad and it performs reasonably well. I wouldn't use it since I'm fully "committed" to Chrome and Opera but it wouldn't be a terrible backup. In my opinion, IE9 is the first version of IE in a long time that MS actually felt compelled to put a lot of work into and the results show. And with more competition, the users win.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And... Opera for Windows is even better. ;P

C

chas_m

Unquestionably, IE9 was a huge improvement. Not disputing that, just saying that it's still an MS product and ergo gets routine security patches.

I definitely like the new direction MS took with IE9 over previous versions, but I just don't think it's the leader of the pack of Windows browser options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.