• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Beginner Help PLEASE

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking for some help.
I have a MacBook Air and I am trying to download family videos from DVD to my hard-drive to watch and save.

I can view the videos, but when I download the files from the DVD to my computer I end up with a "video TS" file which contains many "BUP", "INFO", and "VOB" files.

All of these are unplayable as far as I can tell.

I have tried to import these files to iVideo, but it doe snot seem to work.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Thank you!
John

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Grab VLC.

Just point it to the video_ts folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I would recommend ripping the DVDs to the hard drive using HandBrake. It will give you a single file which you can play, import into iTunes, and even sync to an iPod/iPad. It will also allow you to reduce the file size of each video to something more manageable since space is usually at a premium on a MBA.

I'd also recommend downloading VLC player. It's a must have because it plays just about every file type out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.5 Ghz, 8 Gb Ram / iMac 27" 16 Gb Ram / MBP 2.16 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, iPhone 5, iPad Min
You can also try Cinematize, which transcodes the DVD to quicktime files, even divided by chapters.
cheers,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.