IBook - really worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
I would like to invest in a laptop now and have been looking hard into the iBook - it would even seem that some people prefer these to the Powerbooks. Are Powerbooks worth the extra? From what I have read maybe not.

However, I am a little concerned about the screen issue that some people have experienced where casing at the bottom of the TFT seems to come away or bend.

There have been many reports from people who complain that the lettering on the keyboard on iBooks easily wears away - so is it worth investing in a brand new iBook or would I be better off with a second hand Powerbook?

Also, are the iBooks user-servicable (changing hard drive etc?) like the iMac G5's? (I have built many PC's so not afraid to tinker).

I have been looking at second hand iBooks on eBay, but, to be honest, some of them go for only £50 to £100 less than buying a brand new one, so I don't think it is worth is unless Apple care is thrown in.

This will be my last computer purchase for a good while, so I would really appreciate some feedback from iBook users on the keyboard/screen issues, and also how reliable they have found the iBook to be in general. Also, do you think that Powerbooks (while very nice) are overpriced compared to the iBooks?

Thanks in advance. :)

Reaction score
I have founf my G4 iBook to be some of the best money I have ever spent.
I have it since Jan and having no problems. You have to remember you are going to hear more bad than good because people who have had problems with them will complain. ..... But.... that is a small percentage. Apple are great... if you have any problems they usually have no problem helping out.

If you go for an iBook I would recommend maxing out on RAM. I got 768 with mine and it is way more than enough. I bet these baby's are dangerous with more!

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thankyou for taking the time to reply iRock :)

I already have an iMac G5 and a mac mini. I recently sold my two windows laptops and really missing the portability since I have to spend a lot of time in bed due to disability - and this is what I want the iBook for.

It will be used quite a lot so i don't want the keyboard rubbing away LOL. I have looked into the iskin though, does anyone use an iskin?

Reaction score
... I dont use anything but Im going to buy an iSkin.

The iBook wireless capabilities are just awesome. I just love sitting down and picking up wifi when all the windows users are having problems.

M

marin.mac

I agree with irock. My ibook is one of the best computer purchases I've made. I have 2 Mac desktops that are collecting dust because I rely on my ibook so much. Yes, I've had problems with it, like any other machine. In fact the HD just died and my ibook is only 10 months old. However, Apple will repair it at no cost, and I still have no regrets with the purchase. Mobility is really helpful these days. If this will be your last computer purchase, I recommend buying a new ibook that's loaded with RAM and memory. I also HIGHLY recommend you buy the Apple Care Protection Plan which will protect your ibook if something breaks. Notebooks are bumped, bruised and shaken up quite a bit. Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
agreed, the ibook was one of the best purchases i've made. if you are worried about the lettering on the keys rubbing off i might suggest a bluetooth keyboard. personally i haven't seen any indication that the keys are rubbing away. another nice thing is the reception for wifi on the ibooks are awesome. just a few weeks ago i was hanging out with my cousin who has a powerbook; i was able to get a far better/stronger signal than his machine.

when i was first looking for ibooks i did notice alot of people talking about about the screen warping issue. i really can't comment on it since it doesn't affect me. maybe it's just something to keep in mind everytime you open and close your ibook.

i am very happy with my ibook. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
iRock said:
I have founf my G4 iBook to be some of the best money I have ever spent.
I have it since Jan and having no problems. You have to remember you are going to hear more bad than good because people who have had problems with them will complain. ..... But.... that is a small percentage. Apple are great... if you have any problems they usually have no problem helping out.

completely agree,the only reason why you would see something about an ibook is either a praise for it, or somethings wrong. and when somethings is wrong its always fixable, with the right mac-forum. also, in the ibook section is usually a question "iBook or later?""iBook or PB?" "iBook recommended?" etc. i love my ibook and when i get a job ill buy another apple and use it during college and/or move out and need a computer.

M

mangoSharingan

Kyomii said:
I would like to invest in a laptop now and have been looking hard into the iBook - it would even seem that some people prefer these to the Powerbooks. Are Powerbooks worth the extra?

YES! If you have the money, go for the Powerbook and don't look back. If not, then the iBook is still a worthy and excellent purchase.

Also, remember that you mostly see people with problems on the internet because it's just that. They are probably just 3% of the total iBook community. You rarely see people come on and say something about their iBook, unless it's a problem and they seek help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I believe the "keyboard printing rubbing off" problem was with older generation iBooks. I've not seen this on my iBook G4.

There is (was?) an issue with the keyboard on the PowerBooks leaving marks on the LCD screen, but I don't know if that's still the case.

The "monitor frame bend" thing you saw was an isolated case-- the guy who posted here seemed to have an extreme situation, and he's the only one on the internet I found with that problem.

In terms of user-serviceability: you can replace the HDs in iBooks, but it's a long, screwdriver-intensive process. There are guides all over the internet on how to do this. Memory is very easily replaced-- it's right underneath the keyboard.

I bought an iBook when my ThinkPad died after four years of daily use. My plan was to make this my portable system and keep using my desktop as my main computer, but I liked the iBook so much that it's now my main computer and my desktop is pretty much a file server and backup machine these days.

In my case, I could not justify the extra expense associated with a PowerBook. I saw no advantage to the slightly faster CPU or silver case.

Go ahead and get the iBook-- you will not regret it.

S

sursuciofla

Kyomii said:
Thankyou for taking the time to reply iRock :)

I already have an iMac G5 and a mac mini. I recently sold my two windows laptops and really missing the portability since I have to spend a lot of time in bed due to disability - and this is what I want the iBook for.

It will be used quite a lot so i don't want the keyboard rubbing away LOL. I have looked into the iskin though, does anyone use an iskin?

I use iSkin and I love it. TYhe only real problem is that if you are a button puncher rather than typer then you may have trouble seeing the keys. But if you know the keyboard pretty well you shouldn't have problems. Just knowing that the dust and dirt is on this thing and not all up under my keyboard and keys is peace of mind to me. It does not have a snug fit around the edges so expect that if you do buy. It also has a rubbery feel but it also reduces key stroke noise when typing. I give this product 4.5 out of 5 stars just because it doesn't fit perfectly. Otherwise it would be a 5.

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much to everyone's input on this thread - I am now totally convinced that iBook is the way to go.

Just one more question though, I read somewhere that if the iBook developes a fault, I cannot send it back to Apple (like you can with an ipod), but, rather, you have to take it to an Apple store? Is this correct? As travelling for me is difficult.

I am based in the UK by the way - thanks again :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.