Voiceover and setup assistant problem

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a brand new owner of the MacBook Pro (a convert from many years on a PC). I just opened my pretty new MacBook Pro and attempted to set it up only to be confronted with the annoying Voiceover setup assistant. I couldn't get the darn thing to work right; it kept getting stuck and so I was not able to set up my notebook at all. Is there a way to set up my computer without that annoying voice which seems to prevent me from doing anything manually?

I was told by Mac users that Macs were wonderfully intuitive but so far...
I am trying to be patient. :)

Thanks for any help. I just want to be able to set up my new toy so I can use it and so far, no dice.

Thanks.

Pam

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome to the forums. I am assuming by your post that you would like to turn the Voiceover function off? If that's not what you want and I misunderstood, ignore the rest of this post.

To turn off voiceover do either of the following:
1. Press Command, function, and F5 simultaneously (Command, fn, F5), or
2. Open System preferences (it can be found in the Dock) and go to the Universal Access preference pane. Click the "Seeing" tab if necessary and set Voiceover to off.

If you choose option one make sure to go back to Universal Access sometime later and have a look around the options. Although it's designed with features to aid users with disabilities there are some things there that many others find useful as well.

OP
C
Reaction score
Response to Slydude

Thanks for your help. Actually when I turned on the Mac again, I had no problem with it. I also realize that I needed to get used to the touchpad -I wasn't pressing down hard enough and it's completely different in feel and design than my old PC.

Thanks again. Every day is a school day!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.