MBP 17 Early 2011 thunderbolt vs MiniDisplay

Reaction score
HI,

until yesterday, I had a MBP late 2009 17" and I used a Kanex iAdapt51 Mini Display to HDMI.

Yesterday, I went to the Apple Store and they changed my MBP under the applecare for a completely new MBP early 2011... with thunderbolt...

When I plug and unplug the iAdapt 51, the laptop screen flickers as if it worked, but I don't see the second display in the preferences and the iAdapt51 red light just flicker one time....
Any idea? Is the Thunderbolt supposed to be retro compatible?

thanks

Reaction score
Yes, it should be backwards compatible. What happens when you use Preferences>Displays>Arrangement>Detect Displays button?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
a MDP > HDMI adapter works just fine on my early 11 15"mbp, same thunderbolt connection :)

so.. it SHOULD work.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd tend to agree with the others, it should indeed work. Even with the addition of Thunderbolt, the Mini DisplayPort spec didn't really change.

But if you are looking for an adapter that does work, check this one out from OWC - couldn't be more happy with it, and it passes along the audio piece too:

NewerTech NWTCBLMDPHDMI Mini DisplayPort to HDMI... in stock at OWC

It doesn't require the 1/8" audio or USB connections either. Just plug into the Thunderbolt port and everything works as expected. No powersupply needed. You'd be shocked that this thing isn't made by Apple, it works that well.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And I just went against my own recommendation and ordered an adapter from Amazon - <$5 - should be here today.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.