HELP! Deleted fonts now OS X wont boot up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook // Snow Leopard 10.6.7
Hi,

Im sorry if this may be a duplicate question but Im not sure if it was answered.

I have a 13 inch Macbook 2008 running Snow Leopard 10.6.7

MY PROBLEM.
So I received a folder full of fonts so I added them to my existing fonts and that was ok. When I went into Photoshop, I tried to use one of the new fonts I added but it wasnt available to select. The reason was because those fonts were listed alphabetically and the font list only shows so many.

To make a long story short.....

I accidentally deleted ALL of my fonts and now the system freezes on my desktop. The icons that were there has disappeared and I cannot do anything. The only thing that appears is my wallpaper, battery life, the time and everything in the top right corner of the desktop but it does not allow me to click or right click.

I put in my Snow Leopard install disc but it freezes from booting as well.

Is there something I can do to resolve this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're not going to be able to correct the problem without being able to boot your machine with the Snow Leopard DVD and reinstall OS X. Are you sure you're using the correct Snow Leopard DVD for your machine?

OP
BWIZ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're not going to be able to correct the problem without being able to boot your machine with the Snow Leopard DVD and reinstall OS X. Are you sure you're using the correct Snow Leopard DVD for your machine?

Thanks for responding...

Yes. I got the Snow Leopard when I purchased the notebook. I've been surfing around for other solutions and one of them was to see if I can put back the fonts by connecting a firewire from my notebook to another. I will see how that goes and report back.

OP
BWIZ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for responding...

Yes. I got the Snow Leopard when I purchased the notebook. I've been surfing around for other solutions and one of them was to see if I can put back the fonts by connecting a firewire from my notebook to another. I will see how that goes and report back.

So this solution worked. Firewire to another mac...copy and paste the fonts from the other mac into the folder that the fonts were removed from.

OP
BWIZ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ALSO.....

I learned that if you can get to an APPLE store and make an appointment at the "Genius Bar", they will fix any problem with your Apple computer, laptop, iPod, iPad or iPhone for FREE unless they have to open it up or replace any components.

Even WITHOUT Apple Care they will support any diagnostic issue with your system. I think this is a huge plus with Apple especially since any PC repair shop charges you a fee before they even diagnose what your problems are.

Reaction score
Firewire font transfer worked

So this solution worked. Firewire to another mac...copy and paste the fonts from the other mac into the folder that the fonts were removed from.

Thank you so much for posting this. I just deleted my fonts (stupidly because a tech support team for a data analysis software recommended it), and my computer would not start. I realised I hadn't backed up my PhD since February! Dumb, I know. At any rate, I was at my wits end, but the firewire transfer worked for me, and I was able to back up my files in the process as well. Win, win.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.