• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Convert .avi Files To Play On Standard DVD Player?

Reaction score
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have a series of 8 lectures, some broken in 2 parts, ranging from 400-500 mb in size.They are all in .avi format. Is it possible to use IDVD to burn them to a disk in a format that will allow them to be played on any standard DVD player with a TV? If so,can someone explain the process to me? Thanks to all here, love this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I would do it this way, but others will have different methods.

Use MPEGStream clip to convert them to Quicktime, using the Apple Intermediate Codec setting.
Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac OS X

If you want to join those that are in two parts into one, you could import into iMovie and then share to iDVD. If you don't need to join them, you could open iDVD and then just drag and drop each file. When you play the dvd in a player, you'll get the option to choose which one to play.

How long are your lectures? A standard dvd will take about 1h 30m of video, a dual layer disc about twice as much without reducing the quality.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.They run from 45 minutes to one hour. I will look at your method tomorrow and see if this will work for me. Will let you know what I find out, and thanks again for your help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The only tool I've found that does a good job easily (and in one step) is Roxio's Toast. It isn't cheap, but if you do this often, you'll be glad you bought it:

Roxio Toast 11 Titanium - CD & DVD Burning for Mac

Why they don't reduce the price in an age where a lot of people are moving away from optical discs and drives is beyond me, but they've always been greedy. You can probably find it substantially cheaper out on Amazon.

Reaction score
Hi have OSX Lion and have lost 'Front Row' but thanks to blogger have now got it again but it won't link to my iTunes so can't see or play music thru it? Can anyone advise?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The updated version of iTunes broke compatibility with Front Row (which is no longer supported). Unfortunately, this renders Front Row only compatible with standalone files in your Movies and Music folders. It can no longer interface with iTunes.

Reaction score
Thanks for that I was wondering why, that's put that one to bed. Can always play music in cover flow which is just as good. Have a good day and many thanks

Reaction score
Does anyone know about an animated email programme i.e. Incredimail or anything similar? Used to use that on windows but can't find anything similar on Mac

OP
S
Reaction score
$80.00 For Roxio?

Man oh man you are not kidding about their price!!! What a joke, I will try and get it done another way before I give them that much. Thanks for the info, maybe some other members will have some more ideas, have a great week everybody.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Hi have OSX Lion and have lost 'Front Row' but thanks to blogger have now got it again but it won't link to my iTunes so can't see or play music thru it? Can anyone advise?
The updated version of iTunes broke compatibility with Front Row (which is no longer supported). Unfortunately, this renders Front Row only compatible with standalone files in your Movies and Music folders. It can no longer interface with iTunes.
Thanks for that I was wondering why, that's put that one to bed. Can always play music in cover flow which is just as good. Have a good day and many thanks
Does anyone know about an animated email programme i.e. Incredimail or anything similar? Used to use that on windows but can't find anything similar on Mac

Hey! Go start your own topic.:D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
sorry mate not quite sure how to start my own blog….first time for everything

Click on the main Mac-Forums link at the top of the page.
Browse the list of all the forums for the most appropriate one for your topic.
Click on the forum.
Click on the New Thread button at the top left of the page.

(And they're called threads in a forum. ;D)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.