• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

m4v files on both Apple TV and iPad?

Reaction score
Hello,

Can you watch the same .m4v movie on both iPad and Apple TV? I have converted some .avi movies using Handbrake to .m4v movies. I can watch these movies on my iPad (and iTunes on my computer), but not on Apple TV. I remember reading somewhere that while both iPad and Apple TV use .m4v files, they do so at different frame rates. Is this correct? Is there anyway to watch the same converted file on both an iPad and Apple TV?

Thanks

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

So if I change the specs of the .avi file that I am converting in Handbrake to what you have listed, will the viewing quality to be altered (ie, if I change a frame rate to 30/sec when it was originally higher or lower will this do anything to the final result)?

Reaction score
Im not big on all the number thing but got told to do all converting on Handbrake with Apple TV sign at the side & should do both no problems!

C

chas_m

In my experience, jjaxx has it right. If you convert a movie file using Handbrake and just use the "AppleTV" setting, it plays fine on both devices.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks jjaxx10 and chas_m. I converted some .avi files using Handbrake and the "Apple TV" setting, but still doesn't work on Apple TV. I made sure I have Apple TV and not Apple TV 2. I will try with some other settings and let you know. Thanks again for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.