Airport Extreme (2nd Gen.) How to wirelessly connect and distribute WiFi Net

Reaction score
I connect my Mac Mini wirelessly to the internet via a WiFi router. I would like to create a wireless network to access that internet connection throughout my apartment and have an Airport Extreme (2nd Gen) and some Airport Expresses.

My thought was to connect the Extreme to the internet through the ethernet plug on the back of the Mini, then distribute it through the extreme to the expresses but I cannot seem to get it to work.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

OP
D
Reaction score
Trying to connect wirelessly to internet AND distribute by creating local wireless...

I connect my Mac Mini wirelessly to the internet via a WiFi router. I would like to create a wireless network to access that internet connection and stuff on the mm (like music files) throughout my apartment and have an Airport Extreme (2nd Gen) and some Airport Expresses.

My thought was to connect the Extreme to the internet through the ethernet plug on the back of the Mini, then distribute it through the extreme to the expresses but I cannot seem to get it to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The Extreme needs to be hooked up to your modem and then you can assign the Expresses to either join an existing wireless or extend a wireless network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I connect my Mac Mini wirelessly to the internet via a WiFi router. I would like to create a wireless network to access that internet connection throughout my apartment and have an Airport Extreme (2nd Gen) and some Airport Expresses.

That's the long way around. As osxx said, connect the AP Ext to you Modem and then connect everything to it. You can expand the range of the network with the AP Exp's to cover the desired area if necessary but odds are the AP Ext will cover you whole Apartment..

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes. The issue is that I cannot connect physically to the DSL modem. I must - and can - connect wirelessly - but not in all parts of my apartment. So, I am trying to distribute from the room in which I can connect (wirelessly) to the rest of the apartment.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged threads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.