google plus

Reaction score
I downloaded google plus from app store on my imac... but the icon just sits on the dock... doesn't open.
Any help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I couldn't find a "Google Plus" in the Mac App store. What is it that you downloaded? Can you be specific? As far as I can tell there are four apps that have to do with Google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
The only Google+ App I know of is from the iTunes App store, and runs on iOS, not OS X. There are a few addon apps that extend some sort of functionality to Google+, but considering that they haven't even released the APIs yet, I doubt they'd work well.

C

chas_m

"Google Plus is just like Facebook, only without the strong protection of your privacy."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
"Google Plus is just like Facebook, only without the strong protection of your privacy."
Wow, you really have something against Google in general :D

C

chas_m

Not at all. Like everyone else, I have to use their services from time to time.

But it's dumb not to understand that they are *primarily* an advertising agency, and that everything they do is in service to that. That's how they make their money, as opposed to say Apple.

If you're fine with that, that's okay with me and obviously with you. But you should BE AWARE OF IT just as you should be aware of it with Facebook, since Google goes to great lengths to hide the extent of their data collection of you. By comparison, Facebook makes it obvious.

I'm just relating the facts, it's up to you what you do with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

That's pretty funny because Google+ actually has stronger privacy protection built-in just naturally and the EULA is actually more friendly in terms of privacy and content ownership compared to Facebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

But it's dumb not to understand that they are *primarily* an advertising agency, and that everything they do is in service to that. That's how they make their money, as opposed to say Apple.

If you're fine with that, that's okay with me and obviously with you. But you should BE AWARE OF IT just as you should be aware of it with Facebook, since Google goes to great lengths to hide the extent of their data collection of you. By comparison, Facebook makes it obvious.

What I'm referring to is your ever-present comments in any thread to do with Google, most having nothing to do with the question at hand. ;) You, sir, have an axe to grind.. admit it. It's Okay. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Right. Because Facebook isn't about advertising and doesn't make money as such.

tinfoilhat.jpg

And of course, for good measure:
3dup.gif

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're fine with that, that's okay with me and obviously with you. But you should BE AWARE OF IT just as you should be aware of it with Facebook, since Google goes to great lengths to hide the extent of their data collection of you.
That must be why there privacy policies are hidden ;). And if you have evidence beyond that, not only would I love to see it but I'd love to know how you deciphered their "great lengths."

By comparison, Facebook makes it obvious.
No they don't.

Google+ doesn't spy on you anymore than Facebook does. That's just the fact that I'm passing along to everyone here. As for your point, you call it fact, I call it conjecture. Without evidence, who's to decide who's more right?

I have to agree with Dysfunction - you have a problem with Google whether you'll admit it or not. In and of itself, that's fine - we all have problems with some companies. That said, if you genuinely don't have a problem, then you're being hypocritical by using their products and believing that only some are free from their privacy issues (why else would you use them?).

The ambivalence in your argument doesn't help to make it any stronger and it might help us if you clarified not only your evidence but why you feel that some of their services are worthy of being exempt from your scrutiny. Otherwise, I'd politely ask you to stop spreading FUD that based on nothing more than well articulated conjecture.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Will this do?

If you want to carry on believing that Google is the same as every other internet service, that's your prerogative.
I fail to see how that is any worse that Facebook which, according to the article you linked to, "even goes so far as to ask its users, whose accounts have been temporarily disabled for violating certain terms, to provide official photo ID to help get their stalking privileges reinstated."

Second, that has absolutely nothing to do with their advertising business which seems to be a major part of your argument.

Thirdly, the argument is based on providing a real name which is quite possibly the most common piece of a real identity most of us have online. In fact, it took me three seconds to find your real name Charles when searching your user name in Google (it was your flickr profile which was the very first result). If it's your real name that you're worried about having online, you should do a search of your username and/or your real name - you'd be surprised what you find.

Fourth, I just created a new Google profile and here is a screenshot of the page: Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 11.37.11 AM.png

I can assure you that my name is not Namey McNamerson. Nor is my name in my YouTube profile: Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 11.40.26 AM.png

Nowhere in my Google Account is my real name other than in the places I've allowed it to be (G+ profile).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Facebook has a long track record of implementing new measures that do not protect your privacy (i.e, automatic face recognition), then requiring users to opt out - that is assuming they can find the option to begin with. In fact, Facebook is developing a reputation as a company that places new features and advertisers BEFORE customer privacy, which is a very bad position for any internet-based company. Here's just a fex examples:

Facebook privacy concerns - YNN, Your News Now

Facebook Privacy: 10 Settings Every User Needs to Know

Facebook's Privacy Issues Are Even Deeper Than We Knew - Forbes

And Facebook still doesn't have something even close to Google's Privacy Center:

Google Privacy Center

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So let's get back on track. If you'd like to continue the Google bashing, start a new thread since that's pretty off topic in this one.

To the original poster, this is the software you downloaded:
Tab for Google+ on the Mac App Store

It should be on your dock or on launchpad if you have Lion. Once you run it it will be in your menu bar.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
This thread was entertaining...AND informative, such a rare combination ;). I may just give that little app a try... :)

Reaction score
I would let the regulars discuss sometimes and the thread does seem to drift away sometimes... just my 2 cents...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.