Certain songs won't transfer to ipod. Can you tell me why?

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello I hope someone can shed some light on my problem. My 30gb ipod died recently and I am now using my daughters ipod nano and there are certain songs that won't transfer to the ipod from itunes.

The songs were on my ipod but when I tried to drag them to the ipod nano they wouldn't. All songs would by the same artist except for one album out of the 5 that I have. The green + circle is not displayed when I try to drag that album but when I try to drag the other albums they moved fine. I have never experienced this before. Does anyone know what my problem might be?

I have restored the ipod as well. Manually manage as well.

Thanks

OP
T
Reaction score
No it's not. imac Leopard. My 30gb died so I restored my daughters and dragged and dropped the same playlists to the nano and a few albums won't drag and drop.

OP
T
Reaction score
I figured out something but it doesn't make sense in a way. The songs were labeled as a MPEG-4 video file so that is why they would add to the ipod and play. But it doesn't explain why I could add and play them on my 30gb unless it is because it can play movies.

I don't know.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The 30GB iPod could play videos.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah I figured that out but it is not a video it is a song in MPEG 4 format but when it plays it shows the album cover on my 30gb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17"
I had trouble with one particular album that would not transfer to my iPhone. I found the solution was to tick the 'Part Of A Compilation' box in iTunes. To do that, in iTunes click 'Get Info', then click on the 'info' tab, and click the box at the bottom. When I did that the album transferred across. Of course it could be a completely different problem.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is a different problem. The Nano does not support mpeg4 which is an Audio/Video format. It supports the following - this is for the latest Nano, but I'd guess the earlier models are the same:

Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

(Also moved to more appropriate forum since this really has nothing to do with OS X the operating system.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.