Can't scan with wireless printer!

Reaction score
I tried to use the photo capture (can't remember what it's really called, I'm at work on a PC), and it keeps saying "no camera or scanner connected". I just got a new Canon wireless scanner/printer/copier. I had to scan pictures to a memory card and transfer them that way.

How can I get my Mac to see the printer when scanning?

Printer is a Canon Pixma MG5220...

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : PIXMA MG5220

TIA,
Tony.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I can't seem to get the manual downloaded at the moment. Here is what I can tell you from my experience with two other Canon printers.

1. Even though Canon's manuals leave the impression that you can set up everything wirelessly. I usually find it necessary to directly connect to the printer first and install drivers via USB. Once that is done you van set up wireless operation.

2. Before starting wireless setup I have sometimes found it easier if I let the wireless network broadcast its name (SSID). Even though you can enter it manually during setup that sometimes does not work reliably.

3. After the connections are confirmed wirelessly the drivers usually add easily in the Printers and Fax preference pane.

4. After setup is complete I usually leave the USB drivers in place in case I need to print and the network is misbehaving. I can connect a cable and print directly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My canon printer/scanner (MP530) specifically said that it can't scan wireless and never has. I suspect this is just a design issue. If you want to scan, you have to hook it up to the machine.

Reading the link provided above, I assume that the printer is on your wireless network and prints properly as such?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The one tried and true method to get everything done wireless is a networking printer attached via ethernet to your wireless router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The one tried and true method to get everything done wireless is a networking printer attached via ethernet to your wireless router.

Reading the link he provided it looks like the printer has built in Wi-Fi so that should be how it's set up. Still waiting for a response to see if he has it configured as such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I noticed no mention of ethernet on their website so wireless or USB but I did notice
both drivers and software look to be updated less than a month ago.

OP
T
Reaction score
I've been busy since I posted this thread. I'll try the suggestions and keep you updated.

Thanks,
Tony.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have found Canon's instructions for setting up wireless (whether it be printing or scanning) to be confusing and cumbersome. Generally though if you follow the hints that Slydude gave you in his reply, you can get it working.

Also - the Canon utilities programs get buried deep within their folder and are difficult to find. For some reason Canon does not place them in their Applications folder. However, you can create alias links to the utilities which aid in getting the wireless printing and scanning setup.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chscag. Those suggestions were learned the hard way after trying to connect a PIXMA MP980.

OP
T
Reaction score
I assumed that since the Mac had the software to use the printer automatically, that I'd just be able to connect and go. I installed the provided drivers and connected via a USB and it's all working now.

Thanks,
Tony.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back and letting us know the solution. It might help someone in the future. Glad you got everything sorted out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.