Help with iTunes White on Gray Background

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 6,1 OS X 10.7 / iPad 2 / iPhone 3GS
If anyone could please help me with iTunes!
Since installing Lion my iTunes switched to this white on gray background and I cannot see a thing! No luck changing it, going under "preferences/dark" is a no-go". I bring my Mac inches in front of my face to see what line I'm hitting (once i select a line, it turns black which is great but I have ejected my iPhone numerous times during its syncing).
Any ideas on how to to change it back? It would be much appreciated!
I've attached a screen shot just in case, for a visual
Thanks!

Screen Shot 2011-08-13 at 7.49.02 AM.png

C

chas_m

Your link doesn't work, but chances are you've got the contrast cranked way up.

System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Seeing

I have no idea what "preferences/dark" means.

OP
salanco16
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas,
thx for your answer,
I accidentally trashed that screenshot cleaning up my Cloud links, sorry.
Good guess but no my contrast is not "cranked way up" this is something that is strangely only affecting iTunes.
Last week I tried reducing the contrast the way you suggested and it didn't work.
The preferences I was referring to are iTunes: /Grid View/Dark tried that, to see if that helped a bit.
No difference their either.
Other than not being able to see the playlists, iTunes works well, am just being careful to not eject while syncing again and I've been using my iPhone as a remote a lot.

took a new screenshot
http://f.cl.ly/items/0g1B3j3E0o1l433y3B3s/Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 2.25.52 AM.png

C

chas_m

There is NO "grid view-dark" in the unaltered version of iTunes, nor are the playlists listed in white type, so I have to conclude that you or someone has installed a third-party add-on that changes the look of iTunes (there are a number of these about, most don't work very well).

For the record, this is what Playlists (et al) are SUPPOSED to look like:

OP
salanco16
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I know, that is what mine used to look like..
I have not installed a 3rd party app either; that would be a simple answer being that yes as you said they mostly do suck.
Don't you remember when the iTunes 10 update came with the grid style change to a black background with white text rather than the old blue/gray/white style?
At the time, you were able to switch back to the old style if you didn't like it - which many did not ... under preferences by choosing "light" then click the bottom button of the preference window and you were back to the blue/gray/white grid style.
I left it as was when the new style came out I didn't mind it so when this happened I tried that first thinking it may get me back to the old blue/gray/white. It didn't

OP
salanco16
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've actually found a number of people wanting to rid themselves of iTunes grid black/white version to the old of gray/blue/white - not exactly the same but close enough. Unfortunately as with me, the old way switching the "dark/light" option isn't working as in the beginning.
I got an old version of iTunes on Old Version of iTunes Download - OldApps.com
Uninstalled the 10.4 version replace with an older one, one problem solved :)

Here's a thread showing how one was able to switch back to old grid style using "dark/light" under iTunes preferences :
https://discussions.apple.com/message/13024142#13024142

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
tried reinstalling iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Check out the article at High contrast mode in iTunes 10 - Mac OS X Hints. Sounds like what's going on. BTW, I'm running Lion, and the second command to undo the change didn't work, but I ran the first command again, changing TRUE to FALSE and it fixed it back.

OP
salanco16
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
robduckyworth - yes I did try to reinstall 10.4 but the white/gray version still came up, so I went back to 10.3

EvenStranger - sweet! I did as well and got mine to change back, thanks! And yeah, it had to have been a "bug" in the contrast setting to make it go completely gray/white to the point where you couldn't distinguish letters?!

C

chas_m

Thanks for taking the time to clarify the light/dark thing you were talking about, my apologies for being wrong.

Glad you found the solution with the help of EvenStranger!

OP
salanco16
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's absolutely no need to apologize! I'm not that all that familiar with forums and I realize that I need to give clearer descriptions in order for people to be able to help. Obviously not doing so great on that point but learning :)
Yeah, I'm definitely stoked its fixed! Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.