Dock and Expose stopped working after update to 10.6.8

Reaction score
I just updated to OS X 10.6.8 (so I presume I have the supplementary update already- I used software update on my MBP) and now the dock and expose stopped working.

Someone else had a similar issue, which was due to Parallels Desktop, but I don't have Parallels or any other virtual machine for windows. I do have bootcamp.
My installed software shows the 10.6.7 update still installed. Any way I can go back to it from 10.6.8? Will deleting the newest update from somewhere do the trick?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, it doesn't work that way.

My first question would be, what do you mean by they "stopped working"?

In any case, the first things I'd do would be to run Repair Permissions from Disk Utiity or Onyx. Next would be to download and install the combo update found here.

OP
T
Reaction score
The combo update is the one I have installed.

Dock- well, it doesn't do anything much anymore. When I click on an icon on it, it does not open. (I'm basically using Quicksilver to open everything). If the dock has the hidden-when-no-cursor-hovering-over-it feature enabled, it just does not even show up (that was the default on my computer until a few minutes ago).

Expose- when I use the trackpad/fx key to use it, nothing happens.

Oh yeah, and I have Sophos antivirus installed, as well as AppTrap. Could they be part of the problem?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You stated in your first post you used Software Update - that is not the combo update even though the version is the same. There are occasional issues with Software Update, particularly in files of that size, that the combo update will repair.

Did you run Repair Permissions?
Not a single app opens clicking on it on the dock?
Have you opened up System Preferences and verified your Dock & Expose settings?

The next step is to download and install the combo update.

OP
T
Reaction score
You stated in your first post you used Software Update - that is not the combo update even though the version is the same. There are occasional issues with Software Update, particularly in files of that size, that the combo update will repair.
Did you run Repair Permissions?
Not a single app opens clicking on it on the dock?
Have you opened up System Preferences and verified your Dock & Expose settings?

The next step is to download and install the combo update.
I ran Repair Permissions but it didn't help. And yes, System Pref was the first place I checked.

Okay, I'm going to go download the combo update. Thanks :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Oh okay brilliant, now everything's back to normal after I used the combo (it only downloaded the extra stuff I think because it didn't take long at all).

Lesson learnt: NOT going to change to Lion anytime soon (or any time at all, I am one of those few who dislike the whole iPhone-esque layout anyway -_-)
Thanks ever so much though.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The combo updates actually download and install every point update and apply them all at once. So with the combo, you get .1, .2, .3, .4, .5, etc. all in one download. With these you could go from 10.6.1 direct to 10.6.8 in one download. But, in my experience, the download from there typically is faster than through Software Update.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Oh okay brilliant, now everything's back to normal after I used the combo (it only downloaded the extra stuff I think because it didn't take long at all).

Lesson learnt: NOT going to change to Lion anytime soon (or any time at all, I am one of those few who dislike the whole iPhone-esque layout anyway -_-)
Thanks ever so much though.

Lion does NOT have an iOS layout at all. The few things they included like Launchpad you don't have to use at all. The Natural scrolling can be disabled as can the other new things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.