Synced iPhone to wrong Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I synced my iPhone to my iMac no problem. I then tried to sync it with my MacBook when it started telling me that if I did that I'd be removing all the content from the iPhone. So my question is did I sync it to the wrong computer in my house? I want it synced to my MacBook b/c it's the computer that has all my music on it.

C

chas_m

The iPhone can only be synced to one Mac. If you wanted it to be synced to the MacBook, why did you sync it to the iMac?

So yes, what it's telling you is true. When you sync the iPhone to the MacBook, it will erase whatever's on it now and re-sync from the MacBook's iTunes library, iPhoto library, Address Book, etc.

If your MacBook and iMac use the same iTunes account, I would say this is pretty much a non-issue, since you'll be able to get back all your purchased apps/music/video, Game Center info, etc.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
What about things like Notes, Calendar, preferences, etc.? Is there a Time Machine-like app for backing up an iPhone?

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
What about things like Notes, Calendar, preferences, etc.? Is there a Time Machine-like app for backing up an iPhone?

I moved from syncing to my old Windows laptop to syncing from a Mac Mini. It worked fine. The only thing I needed to redo was tweaking which app appeared on which home screen on the phone. No content or preferences were lost.

Low risk approach:
  • Back-up the iphone on your iMac
  • Sync it to your MacBook
  • If it doesn't work properly, restore the iPhone on your iMac

Simples!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.