Quad Core vs. Server Mac Pro

Reaction score
While looking at the specs of both the Quad Core Mac Pro and the Server Mac Pro the only difference i see between them (besides the RAM and memory) is that the Mac Pro Server has Mac OS X Server unlimited-client license instead of 18x double-layer SuperDrive. Is the Mac Pro Server designed to me just a house hold computer or more of a business computer.

what exactly is a 18x double-layer SuperDrive and aMac OS X Server unlimited-client license?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
While looking at the specs of both the Quad Core Mac Pro and the Server Mac Pro the only difference i see between them (besides the RAM and memory) is that the Mac Pro Server has Mac OS X Server unlimited-client license instead of 18x double-layer SuperDrive. Is the Mac Pro Server designed to me just a house hold computer or more of a business computer.

It can be either... well-suited to both tasks.

what exactly is a 18x double-layer SuperDrive

It's a DVD burner that runs at 18x speed.

and aMac OS X Server unlimited-client license?

It's a server that is licensed to allow an unlimited number of client computer connections (as compared to different versions of Windows Server, which typically have a limited number of "Client Access Licenses" (also known as "CALs").

Just a guess based on your question, but I'd say you should be looking at the standard (non-server) model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.