Upgrading Problems

C

COLDcutPLAY

I have a Titanium Powerbook running OSX 10.3.9 and i just bought a new miniMAC which came with TIGER, which i must say has been fantastic and addictive, the dashboard is awesome. I want to upgrade the OS on my Powerbook but i dont want to buy another copy of TIGER when i already have the discs from the miniMAC. Can the discs that came with the miniMAC be used to upgrade my powerbook??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
by doing that you would be running an illegal copy, you know that dont you.

tbh though im not sure if it will work as the Ti powerbooks are pretty old now

OP
C

COLDcutPLAY

inflexion said:
by doing that you would be running an illegal copy, you know that dont you.

tbh though im not sure if it will work as the Ti powerbooks are pretty old now

Its not the original Ti, i just call it Titanium for lack of a better name. Its only a year old with 1.5Ghz PowerPC G4 and 512Mb Ram.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Sounds like you have the Alum powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, regardless of what type of PowerBook you own, the discs are designed for use with the Mini. They are not meant for the PowerBook.
Not only would it be extremely illegal and highly unethical and a direct violation of the software EULA... there is a good chance that they won't even work anyway.
Basically, if you don't want to purchase another copy then you don't want to upgrade the OS badly enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Moral and ethical considerations (which are none of our business anyhow) aside, the disc won't work with the PB. The discs that Apple ships with their computers are made strictly for the type of computer it came with and no others. If you put the disc in and try to boot, it will tell you it is the wrong machine.

Your probably going to have to buy a retail copy of OSX to make this work.

I certainly won't mention that I bought one copy of Tiger and put it on 4 machines....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.