Used iMac 2.0Ghz?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 1, iMac Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz (2006) OS X 10.6.8
hello

After loving a iPad and dabbling with school Macs, I am considering purchasing a used iMac Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz on eBay for around $300-350. The white polycarb ones.

I was wondering is this still a good machine? Does it run WinXp well in bootcamp?

I already have a Win7 machine, but my Xp Laptop is bricked. I would like a Mac to learn more about mac and to generally hack around with and I would like a machine to play legacy games on xp.

C

chas_m

For that price, you should be fine. That's a fairly old machine (2007, maybe 2008), so adjust your expectations accordingly, but it should run XP as well or better than any same-vintage, same-processor PC would have. Max out the RAM, and before you ask there is nothing you can do to improve the video card, so take that into consideration if you're a hardcore gamer.

OP
unitron6991
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, that video card is sufficient for most of the stuff I play. The issue is whether or not I can have xp running natively.

Thanks for your reply!

C

chas_m

Be aware that Boot Camp under Lion (Mac OS X 10.7) only supports Windows 7 -- but it's pretty unlikely that this used iMac you're buying will have it (though it is compatible), so I don't think this is an issue.

You can also look into a virtualization environment (aka VirtualBox, Parallels, VMWare Fusion) that lets you run Windows and Mac concurrently.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^^ What he said. You want one that does not have Lion installed. Or if it does, the owner is including the previous OS X discs. Those discs have the XP drivers.

OP
unitron6991
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a retail snow leopard disk. Does that have the drivers?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.