cannot open office for word and others

Reaction score
When I try to open any Office applications for Mac that I downloaded on this new MacBook the result is limited to a briefly-flashing logo on the applications dock. The machine also refuses to open many email attachments. What is going on?

Thanks,
over50

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Help us to help you.

We're going to need more information. What Office applications did you install? (assuming that's what you meant by downloaded)

Also tell us about your MacBook. Year, model. Which version of OS X are you running?

OP
O
Reaction score
MAC OS X 10.6.3
Purchased new fall 2010.
Unfortunately I cannot access info on the Office app; it is at my office two hours away!
Thank you for responding and I will try to post a more detailed note later.

O50

OP
O
Reaction score
The Office apps shown in the applications window (Finder) do not open on this brand new MAC OS X 10.6.3

C

chas_m

You'll have to tell us what version of Office we're talking about here. Also a Mac bought in the fall of last year is not really "brand new."

Until we can get more info, you should be able to open Word documents using Text Edit, which is already on your Mac. If you right-click or control-click on an existing Word document, you have the option of opening it with something else, such as Text Edit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.