Want to sell my Macbook pro...necessary steps

Reaction score
So, I want to sell my Macbook Pro, not because I don't want it but because I want to upgrade. I live overseas and can sell my 18 month old Macbook Pro and pay a small amount extra for a newly refurbished model (I travel often to the US). This would give me an updated computer with a fresh warranty...plus help out someone else. It's a win-win.

I found a website once that explained how to prepare your Mac for sale and make it up to date. In other words, update the OS and let the new buyer get the fancy welcome screen.

Basically, I have the install disks from the original purchase (pre-SL OS) and the SL upgrade discs. I would like to also purchase Lion, but this won't have any discs.

Is there anyway to delete my data (have TM of course), update with SL and then to Lion, while allowing the new buyer to customize like a first-time purchase?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks...but with this process doesn't the new owner have to update the machine?

The link that I had read in the past described a way to make the machine totally up to date before the sale. In other words, the new owner turns on the machine and the only update to any OS software is from between my shutting it down and their turning it on.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That's correct..if you create an installer for Lion and do a fresh install, when the new owner turns the Mac on and starts using it only new updates to Lion will need to be downloaded, since there haven't been any updates to Lion yet..it'll be as new as anything else..

OP
T
Reaction score
Actually, I see that it is a bootable version. Maybe that would work.

I guess I should try out Lion first though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.