Macbook Pro 2011 - Displaying Incorrect HD Info

Reaction score
Hi my macbook pro early 2011 13" is displaying some strange hard drive information. i am running Lion 10.7

Attached below is an image, the get info screen displays the correct info as far as i am aware and the 'storage' screen is showing I'm using double the hard drive space. i recently copied 150GB from an external driver and then copied that over to another external. and then deleted the remaining unwanted files from my Mac HD. when i do a time machine backup it also says I'm using over 300GB hdd space and I'm 99% sure i am not! the 'get info' is the correct ammount. could some one please advise? or am i going to have to get onto apple? thanks in advance.

1la5rx2ec

gif upload

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Probably disappeared in a puff of database logic. It happens. I highly doubt someone deleted it.

Now, what's your problem?

OP
A
Reaction score
hi thanks..

I'm using osx lion, macbook 2011 13" my problem is 'get info' is displaying i have used 150GB of my 500GB hard drive. which i think is correct as i roughly know the size of my sample library etc.

but when i go to storage in About This Mac> More Info> Storage it displays I'm using around 300GB when i know i am not is says i have 12GB of video and 166GB of backups

recently i transferred around 120 GB of data onto my macbook from an external and then on to another external. then trashed the remaining left overs. also in disk utility it is displaying the incorrect amount of 300GB used.

would anyone have any idea as to why this is happening.?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the 166GB of backups is just that. Lion does time machine backups to your local drive until you reconnect to your time machine drive. If you've had your machine disconnected from this for a while that would explain it.

OP
A
Reaction score
yes i have had it disconnected for while but when doing a time machine backup yesterday it backed up 300GB surely it would make a copy of that backup and then delete it from the system? - and how come its not displaying it in get info? - how can i also remove this backup file ? thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Issuing the following will DISABLE local backups, and it will delete the backup file.

sudo tmutil disablelocal

to re-enable it you'd do

sudo tmutil enablelocal

it's not displayed in get info, I believe, because it's a hidden file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ack, I should have said issue the following command in Terminal. My fingers got ahead of my brain. :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First post should be visible now.

OP
A
Reaction score
its ok, i got what you meant. yeah above is first post lol thanks going to try shortly

OP
A
Reaction score
yes thanks it cleared the backup file, i have re enabled also. i will ensure i reconnect my time machine drive more often :) thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best way to avoid those hidden backups that TM makes when your external drive is disconnected is go into System Preferences and turn automatic backups off. This will disable TM. When you re-connect, just turn it on again and click on "backup now". I wouldn't fool with the terminal as it may get you into trouble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.