• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Correct Blank DVD-R Media for my PowerBook?

M

macunkie

Hoping someone can give me a heads up here?
I have a 15" 1.25 Ghz Powerbook with a SuperDrive.
I believe it is a 1x, 2x DVD burner. I've wasted some money
on some blank dvd-r disks that say, "Up To 16x write..." .

I'm getting a read error with toast with these disks.

Bottom Line:

Can someone let me know a brand name and type of dvd-r disk
to order so I can get some burning done....

What works "well" with my PowerBook?

Thanks,

MacUnkie

OP
F

falltime

macunkie said:
Hoping someone can give me a heads up here?
I have a 15" 1.25 Ghz Powerbook with a SuperDrive.
I believe it is a 1x, 2x DVD burner. I've wasted some money
on some blank dvd-r disks that say, "Up To 16x write..." .

I'm getting a read error with toast with these disks.

Bottom Line:

Can someone let me know a brand name and type of dvd-r disk
to order so I can get some burning done....

What works "well" with my PowerBook?

Thanks,

MacUnkie

It's not a matter of what "works well" with PowerBooks - there are vast differences in the quality of media and end results are almost universal to whatever burner you use: if you use low-quality media, you are going to get either sloppy results, or no results... if you use high-quality media, you are going to see a better success-to-coaster ratio, and it is a generally understood concept that while lower-quality media may be cheaper, it is in no way more economical, as you will most definitely end up spending more money replacing coasters than you would if you just bought good media in the first place.

I always reference newer media consumers to this guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm - it is a fantastic reference for those you would like to know what kind of media they should buy.

My personal favorite is 8x Taiyo Yuden. Taiyo Yuden makes great premium media and most would agree that their 8x line is the best. Stay away from 16x from any company (including Taiyo Yuden) as it still isn't a perfected medium and many people are running into issues.

www.supermediastore.com is a great place to buy good media, and they have the best prices on Taiyo Yuden.

OP
M

macunkie

Perfect!

falltime said:
It's not a matter of what "works well" with PowerBooks - there are vast differences in the quality of media and end results are almost universal to whatever burner you use: if you use low-quality media, you are going to get either sloppy results, or no results... if you use high-quality media, you are going to see a better success-to-coaster ratio, and it is a generally understood concept that while lower-quality media may be cheaper, it is in no way more economical, as you will most definitely end up spending more money replacing coasters than you would if you just bought good media in the first place.

I always reference newer media consumers to this guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm - it is a fantastic reference for those you would like to know what kind of media they should buy.

My personal favorite is 8x Taiyo Yuden. Taiyo Yuden makes great premium media and most would agree that their 8x line is the best. Stay away from 16x from any company (including Taiyo Yuden) as it still isn't a perfected medium and many people are running into issues.

www.supermediastore.com is a great place to buy good media, and they have the best prices on Taiyo Yuden.

Great Reply! I orderded the Taiyo Yuiden.
Thanks again for your help!

MacUnkie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i know that im in the uk but i use RiDisc media and while they are pretty cheap im yet to come across a drive that wont write to them. it might be because they are only 4x but as my drive only does 2x it dont matter to me

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.