Compatibility issues with Lion

Reaction score
I recently got a new MacBook Pro for my work. I'll be moving abroad soon and needed a compact machine I could run Final Cut on. Problem is, the new Lion OS that came with my computer doesn't support the Final Cut 6 that the company I work for has given me to use.

I understand this has to do with Lion not supporting PowerPC applications, and that Final Cut 7 is supported, but Final Cut 6 is the one I'm stuck with.

My understanding is that short of installing Leopard onto my computer, there isn't much I can do. So my question is: Is it possible to dual boot Leopard and Lion? Would I be able to make a partition and do it from there? Is there any other alternative that I'm not seeing?

I would really appreciate any help with this. I'm feeling kind of screwed at the moment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, you don't want to dual boot Leopard and Lion. If you need to dual boot in order to use Final Cut 6, I recommend dual booting between Snow Leopard and Lion. And yes, you can create a partition on your hard drive and install Snow Leopard. The reason you should use Snow Leopard is that it will cost $29 versus over $100 for a retail version of Leopard which is also difficult to find.

OP
K
Reaction score
The only reason I'm going for Leopard is that I already have an install disc for it at my work. Ideally would would upgrade to Snow Leopard if I can, but right now, Leopard is what I have on hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If the computer shipped with Lion installed, it's too new to run Leopard - the drivers and support software just aren't there. Even a retail copy of Snow Leopard will likely not install on it, as I believe the retail versions are 10.6.3 and those systems would have shipped with 10.6.6 or later. I think your choices are going to be either pony up for the new FCP or return the computer and maybe purchase a unit that still has 10.6.x installed from a 3rd party reseller or Apple Refurbished.

OP
K
Reaction score
Also, as a follow up: Is it remotely possible to run Leopard from an external drive? Forgive my ignorance, I'm just trying to take this at any angle I can think of.

C

chas_m

Short answer: no. Your new machine is unable to run anything earlier than the OS it shipped with (ignoring hackarounds like the link above, which only works with SL anyway).

Tell your employers you have to use Final Cut 7 at a minimum. What are they so afraid of, I wonder? It's not like FC 7 is new or untested or anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.