System restore of leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi guys
Hope someone can help me here. I've tried to find a solution on the forum however I only have my iPhone to to view posts n searching isn't bringing me any success so I have taken to post the question so please forgive if the answer is out there.

My dilemma is I'm away on holiday brought my G4 PowerBook which was running leopard wen it got a little too warm n froze however now it won't boot up I get the round spinning wheel n nothin else. I have a leopard install disk with me but no time machine bac-up is it therefore possible to run the install disk to repair the file system without having to reformat the drive and lose all my data

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it's possible if the repairs are not extensive or the hard drive has not somehow been damaged.

Boot your PowerBook with the Leopard DVD and instead of proceeding with the install, select Utilities, Disk Utility from the top menu. Highlight your hard drive on the left side, and then run Verify on the right side. If repairs are needed go ahead and make them. Keep running Verify until all errors have been cleared.

If for some reason the hard drive will not verify or repair, then it's likely it will need to be replaced.

OP
Towbar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Many thanks for the reply chscag I've tried what you suggest but I just get a message saying system is ok with nothin to repair

Tried varify files and repair file but still no joy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not familiar with the inner workings of a PowerBook, but if the machine will boot from the Leopard DVD and allow you to verify the hard drive, the hardware should be OK. It's possible something is going on with software preventing the machine from booting from the hard drive.

See if you can start up in Safe Boot mode. Hold down the shift key after you hear the POST chime. Let's see if it will boot that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.