• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple starts offering Lion USB sticks in retail stores

Reaction score
Apple starts offering Lion USB sticks in retail stores

macbookair-usb2.jpg
Apple as it promised before before has started shipping USB drives carrying Mac OS X Lion in its retail stores. The $70 drive, unlike the USB recovery sticks, includes a full copy of the OS for those who can't or prefer not to download the whole install itself. Apple isn't offering Lion Server or volume packs in the same terms....

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 2.8GHz, 13-inch MacBook 2.4GHz, iPhone 4
I was wondering if you buy Lion OS X from the Apple store if you can upgrade from an older version of the OS or if you still have to purchase Snow Leopard first?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not buy Lion from the MAS unless you're running Snow Leopard 10.6.6. That's because the MAS can not be accessed from a prior version of OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I was wondering if you buy Lion OS X from the Apple store if you can upgrade from an older version of the OS or if you still have to purchase Snow Leopard first?

If you're referring to the $70 USB stick version of Lion, you'd have to call the store and ask or ask someone when you go in there. I don't think anyone on here has attempted it yet. Although, a Google search just might turn up a result - I haven't investigated yet to see if anyone's tried it.

Reaction score

I'm actually wondering the same thing...

Never made the jump to Snow Leopard and would rather not have to just to upgrade to the current OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.