Exporting all music from iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 80gb imac. 2gb RAM.
Hi to all Experts,

I've just inherited an imac with OS 10.5 installed and it was used as a music repository. Stuffed full of songs to the point that < 600mb of free space is left !
I know from prior experience that the machine (which is slow at the moment) is about to fall over.......so the question is, how do I completely take all that music off its HD and export all 2000+ songs to an external 500gb hard drive please?
many thanks in advance.....

the Luddite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
It's probably slow because you don't have enough space left to be used for caching OS files and such, but if you just want to move it, go to home/music/itunes and move the whole folder to your external. pretty easy stuff.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 80gb imac. 2gb RAM.
It's probably slow because you don't have enough space left to be used for caching OS files and such, but if you just want to move it, go to home/music/itunes and move the whole folder to your external. pretty easy stuff.

Thank you 'randalthor'.....perhaps not as easy as you'd think, the external drive does not show up on the desktop ! part of the reason why 'drag and drop' hasn't worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
now that would have been nice to know. does the drive mount? open a new finder window and check along the sidebar to see if the drive shows there. If it does, well, you know what to do.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 80gb imac. 2gb RAM.
Thanks once again - I'll check this later and report back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sounds like a plan!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.