how to cancel the "reopen windows when..." option when shutting down Lion

Reaction score
this is may some new feature of lion that Apple probably be proud of but bothers me a lot, when shutting down Lion, it keeps asking me whether to reopen the windows when log in the next time and I have to cancel it again and again, so how to keep this option canceled, I can not find and clue in the preference, any idea?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That doesn't remove the checkbox from the shutdown dialog.

There is an Applescript here that purports to do what you want. I haven't tried it so let us know how it works out.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks for replying, as vansmiths says, check box is still marked as checked when shutting down, and the safari keeps reopening the old pages.
this really annoys me a lot that I can not find any option in the safari preference to let me open blank a page, I think there should be cause this seems to be the basic config other browsers offer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried opening Safari preferences, General Tab, and remove whatever is written in "Homepage"? In other words, leave it blank.

OP
F
Reaction score
of course, I leave any possible option to "empty pages" or blank.
So chscag, you tell me you dont come cross this under lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Everyone does and other than the Applescript suggested, which is not at all practical, we will have to wait for an update. In the meantime leave adverse comment at Apple - Feedback.

THAT IS THE WAY TO GET THINGS CHANGED.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
of course, I leave any possible option to "empty pages" or blank.
So chscag, you tell me you dont come cross this under lion?

No, it works fine on my system. Try resetting Safari first from the Safari menu. Make sure though that you first remove the checks from the options which you do not want reset.

Reaction score
Everyone does and other than the Applescript suggested, which is not at all practical, we will have to wait for an update. In the meantime leave adverse comment at Apple - Feedback.

THAT IS THE WAY TO GET THINGS CHANGED.

The applescript didn't work, and now the "Applescript Editor" has joined the merry band of applications autostarting on my macbook. All attempts to stop autostarting apps has failed, and I keep getting more and more apps autostarting. Eventually I'll have to reinstall the operating system.

C

chas_m

I am mystified by people who have this "problem."

If you quit all applications BEFORE you shut down (and who shuts down anymore anyway?), then it won't matter if the checkbox is checked or unchecked. No apps left open = no apps re-opening when you restart.

Now if you've set an app to start up when you login, of course ... it will. You just need to turn that off by click-and-holding on the icon in the dock and re-select the checked "Open at Login" under Options.

Pretty simple really ...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

If you quit all applications BEFORE you shut down (and who shuts down anymore anyway?), then it won't matter if the checkbox is checked or unchecked. No apps left open = no apps re-opening when you restart.
Not everything OS X does is a "feature" for everyone.

It's a problem because it should have been easily disabled from the get go. Why should OS X default to something that very few people use (if this forum is anything to go by)? Second, why should this "feature" have been set as the default and unchangeable until recently? This is why it's a problem - features shouldn't cause problems for new people nor should they force us to change our habits. The moment something forces you to change your patterns of usage without giving you an out (such as a preference switch), it becomes a problem.

shouston, this "feature" has been fixed in the recent OS X update (10.7.4). OS X finally remembers your choice so if you uncheck it once, it will remain unchecked in subsequent shutdowns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
(and who shuts down anymore anyway?)

One more time: I do. I'm not alone. I also realize that not everyone is with me on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

Now if you've set an app to start up when you login, of course ... it will. You just need to turn that off by click-and-holding on the icon in the dock and re-select the checked "Open at Login" under Options.

Pretty simple really ...

Until now I still don't know why apple choose to make the program still run when you click "x" on the window. Lots of applications make minimize "-" and close "x" have the same function.:Shouting: (the likes of iTunes, iCal, Address Book, Skype, etc):Shouting::Shouting::Shouting:

Clicking "x" to quit a program still better than +Q on the keyboard:Shouting:

My question is, does just "closing" not "quitting" the program eat a lot of CPU/Memory or not?

-Lanz

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It depends on the app and what it does. For instance, closing all browser windows precludes it from eating up resources that it might otherwise need to render content (such as Flash). However, some apps do some work "behind the scenes" such as Mail (checking for new mail) but that won't be much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
It depends on the app and what it does. For instance, closing all browser windows precludes it from eating up resources that it might otherwise need to render content (such as Flash). However, some apps do some work "behind the scenes" such as Mail (checking for new mail) but that won't be much.

So clicking "x" (closing window) only will not slow down the machine like having 5 to 6 apps remained not quitted? I see n the CPU usage that it goes to almost zero % but I can see on THREADS and REAL MEMORY there's quite a lot of numbers in it. Will that affect the machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.