A quick question about RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" [Mid 2010]
Hi everybody... I was looking at my activity monitor and was sondering if someone could explain to me what does it mean the different colors assign to the RAM memory? I mean Free is obvious, but what about "Wired", Active and Inactive?

Also what is "Virtual Memory Size"? is it the free space of the HD that OS can use as a "RAM"?

and my pagefile says 4,53Gb... isn't that too much? AFAIK in Windows it used to be like 3Gb only.

Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
that was neat chas.. how dod you do that?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
that was neat chas.. how dod you do that?

Let me google that for you..enter your search criteria and you'll get a new link that is the animation that Chas put through..it's a little tongue-in-cheek way of saying search before asking a question cuz it's almost guaranteed that you aren't the first person asking it..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" [Mid 2010]
Jajajja, well... thanks for the ironic answer chas_m, but it seems you forgot to google me about VM size an Page ins/outs :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also what is "Virtual Memory Size"? is it the free space of the HD that OS can use as a "RAM"?

and my pagefile says 4,53Gb... isn't that too much? AFAIK in Windows it used to be like 3Gb only.

The virtual memory size is what the system has allocated from the free space on your hard drive. And yes, that page file is rather large. You probably should add real memory to your machine. Your MacBook can take up to 8 GB of memory even though Apple says it's only 4 GB.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" [Mid 2010]
Yeah chscag, adding more RAM and a SDD are on the To-Do list!!

Thanks for answering

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.