Few comparisons from 3rd to 4th Generation

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing an IPod Touch.

Couple of questions:

I have the option of picking up a 3rd or a 4th Generation. After doing way to much reading here are a few questions I want make sure I understand:

***Does the 3rd Gen have a speaker?****

Not sure which generation has this but is a 3rd Gen able to make vice recordings using a built-in microphone? I would like to be able to use this as a voice recorder for note taking or recoding quick thoughts while driving. Is this possible on any and specifically the 3rd?

Can the 3rd OR 4th act as a GPS unit?
Can the 3rd Gen handle ebooks? I read something on the apple page that promoted e-books on the 4th but it is not mentioned on the 3rd.

Reaction score
1. Yes, the iPod Touch (both gen) has a speaker.
2. Yes, the iPod Touch (both gen) is able to make voice record
3. Yes. There is iBooks developed by Apple or there are some third-party apps available in the App Store. (both gen)
4. No, the iPod Touch does not have GPS.

Go with the iPod Touch 4G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g
The 3rd gen does NOT have a built in microphone but you can use earbuds with a microphone, while the 4th gen has a built in microphone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.