Moving Domains to new hosts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i5, 4GB, 500Gb HD, MBP372B/A, 15.6"
Hey folks,

Looking for some advice here.

I am moving my websites which are currently hosted with a company called 1and1.co.uk and this is based in Germany (I am in the UK hence the .co.uk domain)

I have bought new hosting with BlueHost.com in USA and the new WordPress based website is being built on a temp URL and it is about 90% complete.

What I want to know is i will be pointing my DNS to BlueHost.com, but BlueHost.com cannot yet accept .co.uk domain names to their registrar, therefore will i need to keep a hosting account then with 1and1.co.uk ???

Does that make sense ???

Thanks in advance. DNS and domain name pointing is alien to me as I have never moved before. I need to move 23 domain names.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
With any domain there are 2 things you need to know..a Registar and Hoster (hosting service). In *most* cases the registrar and hoster is one and the same..however, many people who have/want multiple domains will usually have a registrar and multiple hosters to manage various sites and will frequently most to different hosting packages based on prices/features and what not..

Either way..1and1 is currently your registrar and hoster..if you move to Bluehost, that's the hosting part..in your welcome email you shouldn't gotten information about what DNS' they use. In your 1and1 domain control section, you would modify the DNS information for your domains and instead of pointing them to the 1and1 DNS, you'd point them to the Bluehost DNS..

Now, the line about "but BlueHost.com cannot yet accept .co.uk domain names to their registrar" might be OK as long as you keep your 1and1 account as the registrar and have Bluehost's DNS' resolve your domain names to the appropriate IP addresses..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum. Does not belong in the "Lounge". Please take the time to read our forum descriptions and Sticky notices before posting. Thanks.

Reaction score
as Raz0rEdge said, yes, you need to keep your 1and1 account and point your domain to the bluehost server if bluehost can't handle the domain.

If you have more than one domain I'd recommend getting a "stand-alone" dns provider to avoid the hassle of moving domains when switching hoster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.