Centris 650 HD Options?

Reaction score
Hi gang,

First post, so thanks in advance for making me feel welcome!

I have a Centris 650 that I use regularly. Without getting to into it, it's actually a component of an arcade game I have.

All the stock replacement hard drives I have for it are failing, and unfortunately upgrading the model is not an option, as the game it runs is hard-coded to work with the Centris 650 and a NuBus arcnet card specifically.

Rather than continue to throw money into NOS hard drives, I'd really like to come up with a way to get a more modern hard drive (IDE preferably) into the machine. Any suggestions?

As I mentioned, it's a Centris 650 and it's running OS 7.5.3

Thanks so much for the help!

Stephan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a Centris 650 that I use regularly.

Rather than continue to throw money into NOS hard drives, I'd really like to come up with a way to get a more modern hard drive (IDE preferably) into the machine. Any suggestions?

As I mentioned, it's a Centris 650 and it's running OS 7.5.3

Yikes...that's a pretty "old school" Mac you have there (I have one as well). Gonna be pretty darn hard to find something new to put in there. As you probably already know...the Centris 650 had/has a SCSI HD...80-500meg...and it has 3 NUBUS expansion slots...but I'm not sure if there ever was a NUBUS expansion card allowing for newer IDE based drives.

I would have 3 suggestions:

- buy a used SCSI HD off e-Bay
- buy a whole Mac system that has a SCSI drive in it that you need...and cannibalize the HD from it.
- try to find a place on the internet that sells old SCSI HD's...like these guys:

50-Pin / 50pin SCSI Hard Drives Seagate and Conner

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.