Early 2008 iMac RAM

afa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (2008) 20" / Core 2 Duo / 2.66GHz / 320GB HDD / 6GB DDR2 RAM / Mountain Lion
Hey guys,

New to the forums here. Been visiting for info time-to-time, but never posted anything. Time for me to lose my virginity!

Okay - I have an 'Early 2008' iMac, and was wanting to upgrade the RAM. I've upgraded my OS to Lion, and since 2GB (what I have) is the minimum, I thought it would be nice to have a little more. Not a problem, since I know the specs of the RAM. But then I came across some websites (including right here) where it was mentioned that certain users have been able to successfully upgrade their memory to 6GB (beyond the official limit of 4GB), and it got me thinking.

Firstly, I would like to know if my specific iMac would support it. It's a 20" iMac 8,1 Core 2 Duo, 2.66GHz, with 2GB of DDR2 (800MHz) RAM. I noticed on some threads here it mentioned that someone had gotten their "Santa Rosa" iMac to work with 6GB. I have no idea what my chipset is; how can I determine if it is SR or not? I checked the System Profiler (by going to About this Mac > More Info > System Report) but I can't see any specific mention of the chipset.

Second, and more importantly, regardless of whether mine is an SR or not, does anyone know from experience whether these model iMacs will support 6GB? And by support I mean actually use, not just recognize.

Any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to MacTracker and OWC your iMac can indeed hold and utilize 6 GB of memory. That would be 1 x 4 GB module and 1 x 2 GB module.

Make sure you buy the modules from a dealer who accepts returns. I highly recommend OWC (Other World Computing). They also have an 800 number where you can speak with a live person.

OP
afa

afa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (2008) 20" / Core 2 Duo / 2.66GHz / 320GB HDD / 6GB DDR2 RAM / Mountain Lion
Thanks for the reply, chscag.

Great to know that I can use 6GB. That should be enough to last me a while (or at least until Apple releases a version of OS X that requires a i5 processor or something...).

Couple of questions. Using one 4GB module along with a 2GB shouldn't really affect the performance, right? Is it somehow better to use two of the same modules?

Also, I noticed on OWC's website (thanks for the link) that they seem to pretty much be all about Macs. I assume, however, that RAM modules work for any machine (assuming the right spec). Or is my assumption wrong?

The reason I ask is because around where I live (Dubai) I doubt I'll find OWC memory. Everyone here seems to have Kingston or TwinMOS. At least, those are the two known brand names I recognize.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.